The Student Room Group

Should I isolate with boyfriend and his family?

We live separately at the moment and have been apart for the past week. We live 30 miles apart so walking isn't an option. Bit concerned that if there is a full lockdown then we may not see each other for a long time. The most ideal option is for me to stay at his family house with him for a couple weeks but at the rate we're going, it could be very difficult to get back home.

I've lived away for uni before so that isn't a problem. But it feels a strange time to turn back on family and live somewhere else.

For the last two years the longest my boyfriend and I have gone without seeing each other is probably 2 weeks and I do worry about how our relationship would progress. We've been hoping to get our own flat together by summer once we get jobs sorted but this is obviously looking unlikely now.

What do you think I should do?
Obviously want to live with boyfriend but worry I could regret decision if either his family or my family get ill at any point. However I could also regret decision if I stay at home and then have no way of visiting him for months.

Can I also add I'm 24.
(edited 4 years ago)
That’s a very individual decision and none of us can tell you what to do. You need to speak to both families and decide what is right for you all
No no no stay with your own family
Personally I would stay with my family and not someone else’s. Especially since this is deadly. What happens if your parents die when you’re not there!
Reply 4
Original post by Mapleservers
Personally I would stay with my family and not someone else’s. Especially since this is deadly. What happens if your parents die when you’re not there!

I know. But there are lots of people my age who have moved out from family home and are self isolating away from parents. If I had moved out with boyfriend already it would be straightforward and I'd stay out of family home. But it's because I'm going from family home to moving out. My parents are fine with it for the record. But I do feel guilty for leaving when a lot of people wish they could visit their family/see mum for mother's day etc.
Original post by jiononkl
I know. But there are lots of people my age who have moved out from family home and are self isolating away from parents. If I had moved out with boyfriend already it would be straightforward and I'd stay out of family home. But it's because I'm going from family home to moving out. My parents are fine with it for the record. But I do feel guilty for leaving when a lot of people wish they could visit their family/see mum for mother's day etc.

I mean like I say if something happens to your parents while we are on the upcoming lockdown > you’ll miss the last words > miss what they looked like and you’ll heavily regret it. Boyfriends don’t last forever and family is more important
Original post by jiononkl
We live separately at the moment and have been apart for the past week. We live 30 miles apart so walking isn't an option. Bit concerned that if there is a full lockdown then we may not see each other for a long time. The most ideal option is for me to stay at his family house with him for a couple weeks but at the rate we're going, it could be very difficult to get back home.

I've lived away for uni before so that isn't a problem. But it feels a strange time to turn back on family and live somewhere else.

For the last two years the longest my boyfriend and I have gone without seeing each other is probably 2 weeks and I do worry about how our relationship would progress. We've been hoping to get our own flat together by summer once we get jobs sorted but this is obviously looking unlikely now.

What do you think I should do?
Obviously want to live with boyfriend but worry I could regret decision if either his family or my family get ill at any point. However I could also regret decision if I stay at home and then have no way of visiting him for months.

Stay home and stay with your family.
If your not going to be allowed out the house and stuff later when the virus gets worse you don't want to be a burden on resources at your boyfriends house. It's better to stay at home.
Stay with family!!!! Like seriously!!!! Why even suggest that in a time like this!!!!
If you currently live with your own family then it makes the most sense to remain at home.
Stupid girl. stay with your family unless you don’t care about them…
Selfish. Only caring about yourself in a time like this. Absolutely disgraceful you should be ashamed
Original post by Anonymous
Selfish. Only caring about yourself in a time like this. Absolutely disgraceful you should be ashamed

What? Lol this is completely unnecessary. How is OP being selfish? They’re just asking a question and you (a troll) are giving unnecessary and unsolicited “advice”
Original post by Anonymous
What? Lol this is completely unnecessary. How is OP being selfish? They’re just asking a question and you (a troll) are giving unnecessary and unsolicited “advice”

Tbf I even think It is selfish in a time like this! Like seriously her family could die ffs
(edited 4 years ago)
Tbf I even think It is selfish in a time like this! Like seriously her family could die ffs

See what I mean
Reply 15

A lot of people are choosing to self isolate with their partners? Some people already made their choice last week to stay with/go to their partners instead of their family but that was before strict regulations. It's whether or not to make that decision at this point in time knowing it could be a long time/big commitment either way.
I don't think it's a good idea. If your relationship isn't strong enough to last a few weeks apart then what's the point?

And you might hurt your family by even just suggesting that idea, that you would want to stay with another family during these times. Just not worth it, maybe have a rethink.
I'd stay home with my family, personally, plenty of people don't know when they're going to see their partner again, it's unfortunate but it's just how it is

Quick Reply

Latest