The Student Room Group

Maintaining a balanced diet during Coronavirus

Hi all, how are you maintaining a varied and balanced diet during the current events? I.e. what sorts of foods are you eating?
Just curious, and wanting a friendly discussion with some advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Mostly and some veg. Carbohydrates are evil. Lots of green tea- Matcha/Yerba Matte You heard it here first.
Struggle because I normally eat loads, worrying about losing weight etc. at least we have food
Reply 3
Ah this is interesting. I'm eating things that are pretty easy to cook in an oven, so i.e. chicken nuggets, fish fingers, etc, but I'm pretty fed up of it all already :biggrin::biggrin:
Not worried about that, just that carbs are in general awful for you
Reply 5
Original post by abcthe123

No! Your body needs carbs, just the right type. There are carbs in fruit and veg, they are not awful for you!!
Reply 6
Mostly and some veg. Carbohydrates are evil.

Vegetables contain carbs :doh:

Completely false. There's no type of food that is generally awful for you, and everything is bad when eaten in excess
Original post by Surnia
Vegetables contain carbs :doh:

Some do. Some contain very little amounts.

There’s a reason why everybody is so fat and stupid these days and the answer is carbs.
Reply 9

There’s a reason why everybody is so fat and stupid these days and the answer is carbs.

Also, unfortunately many people dislike physical activity, and I know many young people highly dislike going and doing i.e. PE lessons.

:frown::frown::frown: Anyways, I shouldn't think so pessimistically! Fortunately, there are some young people who love exercise (like myself :smile:)

This is total nonsense. Your body is designed to run on carbohydrate.
Original post by w10aneilson
Hi all, how are you maintaining a varied and balanced diet during the current events? I.e. what sorts of foods are you eating?
Just curious, and wanting a friendly discussion with some advice :smile:

Whilst I'd never normally advise taking supplements, a daily multivitamin is a good idea at the moment, particularly if you are struggling to find enough green vegetables and fruits for the folate and Vitamin C. If you're spending a lot of time indoors, then make sure your multivitamin has vitamin D in it too.
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
Whilst I'd never normally advise taking supplements, a daily multivitamin is a good idea at the moment, particularly if you are struggling to find enough green vegetables and fruits for the folate and Vitamin C. If you're spending a lot of time indoors, then make sure your multivitamin has vitamin D in it too.

Ah, I can't believe I didn't think of this *facepalm* Thank you :biggrin:
Ah, I can't believe I didn't think of this *facepalm* Thank you :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile: The other things I'd recommend is perhaps a slight reduction in the energy content of your diet if you're accustomed to going to the gym and being out and about a lot. This will ensure you don't inadvertently gain weight, which is awfully easy to do.
Reply 14
Honestly speaking, I think most of us came to the realization that mainlining a balanced diet during these times will be very difficult. Just letting myself go and will re-work on myself when everything is back to normal.
Reply 15
You're welcome :smile: The other things I'd recommend is perhaps a slight reduction in the energy content of your diet if you're accustomed to going to the gym and being out and about a lot. This will ensure you don't inadvertently gain weight, which is awfully easy to do.

Oh, that's also a good point, quite frankly I've eaten more cookies today than I can count :biggrin::biggrin:

where do we get vitamin D from (for a vegetarian as well) ? Also, is it in cheese (which I take plenty to gain weight) ? Is it in toast ? I remember getting some bread loaf from M&S and I think I remember it saying that it's got vitamin D in it which is good as no sun here in UK... Thanks.
Reply 17
Original post by Xarao
Honestly speaking, I think most of us came to the realization that mainlining a balanced diet during these times will be very difficult. Just letting myself go and will re-work on myself when everything is back to normal.

Yes, that's a good point. I'm so lost without the school lunches, since they're so varied :biggrin:
Reply 18
Ah this is interesting. I'm eating things that are pretty easy to cook in an oven, so i.e. chicken nuggets, fish fingers, etc, but I'm pretty fed up of it all already :biggrin::biggrin:

Airfryers are better than ovens.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous370
where do we get vitamin D from (for a vegetarian as well) ? Also, is it in cheese (which I take plenty to gain weight) ? Is it in toast ? I remember getting some bread loaf from M&S and I think I remember it saying that it's got vitamin D in it which is good as no sun here in UK... Thanks.

No sun, are you crazy? You must be living under a rock, there has been for literally everyday for the past two weeks now.

Quick Reply

Latest