Michael N.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone! I am currently a final year finance student at a Greek University, I have applied to study in the U.K. next year and I have received two tempting offers so far. One is for Msc Finance and Economics at LSE (where I had also applied for finance but was rejected) and the other is for Finance at Warwick University. However, I am uncertain as to which I should choose, because while I deeply appreciate LSE's stellar reputation (and it has always been my dream to study there!) along with the opportunities it offers its graduates, I worry that the subjects of Fin & Ec will be too quantitative for me and that I will not be able to keep up. Also, LSE mentions in its website that the programme is primarily addressed to students of a more quantitative background such as Maths and Physics, so I fear that fellow students will possess such a good level of maths that I will inevitably lag behind. I consider Warwick the "safer" option among the two because of my closer proximity to the offered subjects, but I am aware of its rankings compared to LSE. So, does LSE's Fin & Ec make that much of a difference carreerwise compared to Warwick's Fin? Also if you have knowledge of Fin &Ec, do you think that its subjects are so quantitative that it would be too tough for a finance student, who inevitably lacks the quantitative background of students in other fields to complete the programme (preferably with good grades)? Can one expect support while studying there (such as office hours, group studying etc)Many thanks in advance!
Waffles14
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,
Congratulations on the offers!
I am also applying for the coming fall and from what my research has shown, LSE's F&E is not that quantitative relatively speaking (as compared to courses like Imperial's MSc Finance which is highly quantitative).
Warwick also has a pretty strong Finance department and it seems to be a "target" university for many employers but in the end I think LSE's reputation is just unmatched (especially if you plan to return to your country). What is the general perception of University of Warwick in Greece?
Another thing to consider would be what kind of a job you want to have after postgrad. I have heard that a lot of people from LSE end up working in IBD. Not sure about the destinations of Warwick MSc Finance graduates. I would suggest looking at the career report of both the courses and compare what the graduates are doing to what you want to do.
Also, how are you planning to fund your studies? If money is a factor, then I guess Warwick would be a little cheaper due to the lower living costs in Coventry.

Have to say though, since I am myself an applicant and have not attended either of these universities, I could be a little wrong hahah.

Also, how long did it take for LSE to get back to you with a decision? Did it really take 8 weeks as given on their website?
Michael N.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey Waffles 14,
Many thanks for the reply! I hope that you receive offers yourself soon! Are you also planning to study Finance? If so, do you have a similar background?
I believe that F&E is much more quantitative than Warwick not because of the details of the classes themselves, but rather from the general information available at F&E's site, compared to LSE's (or Warwick's for that matter) Finance. Firstly, F&E requires an undergraduate in subjects such as Maths, Physics or Engineering apart from Finance or Economics, while the MSc Finance simply mentions "any discipline and good quantitative skills". Secondly, F&E's mentioned quantitative skills are much more advanced than those required of Finance, and while I fulfill the mentioned skills, I believe that it would be hard for me to keep up in a class with an overall extremely high math level, since professors would conduct their classes to suit the majority of their students.
Regarding the reputations of the two, LSE's reputation is unmatched in Greece as well, where it is considered top-notch. Warwick also has an excellent reputation with good placement options, but it is not comparable with LSE.
I have studied the employment reports of both universities and have also searched online for pertinent information. It seems to me that graduates from both universities have solid placement options, although LSE's cache should secure one both a better position and at a more distinguished company. While IBD certainly intrigues me, Ilook forward to taking part in presentations so as to better measure all of the available options. Frankly, if I were to choose without taking the quantitative aspect into account, I would definitely opt for LSE. However as it is I think it poses a high risk.
As for the costs, I agree that they would be similar, because while London living costs would be higher, Warwick's fees are higher than LSE's and the duration of Warwick is 12 months compared to LSE's 9 months. So costs would not make much of a difference.
As for the time it took them to respond, LSE responded in 40 days for my first choice and in 30 days for my second one (and yes, I was a little surprised myself there ).
Intellectatwork
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Michael N.)
Hello everyone! I am currently a final year finance student at a Greek University, I have applied to study in the U.K. next year and I have received two tempting offers so far. One is for Msc Finance and Economics at LSE (where I had also applied for finance but was rejected) and the other is for Finance at Warwick University. However, I am uncertain as to which I should choose, because while I deeply appreciate LSE's stellar reputation (and it has always been my dream to study there!) along with the opportunities it offers its graduates, I worry that the subjects of Fin & Ec will be too quantitative for me and that I will not be able to keep up. Also, LSE mentions in its website that the programme is primarily addressed to students of a more quantitative background such as Maths and Physics, so I fear that fellow students will possess such a good level of maths that I will inevitably lag behind. I consider Warwick the "safer" option among the two because of my closer proximity to the offered subjects, but I am aware of its rankings compared to LSE. So, does LSE's Fin & Ec make that much of a difference carreerwise compared to Warwick's Fin? Also if you have knowledge of Fin &Ec, do you think that its subjects are so quantitative that it would be too tough for a finance student, who inevitably lacks the quantitative background of students in other fields to complete the programme (preferably with good grades)? Can one expect support while studying there (such as office hours, group studying etc)Many thanks in advance!
Hi, if I may ask you - What did you go for finally? I'm placed in an exact similar situation this year
I have an unconditional firm offer to pursue MSc Finance at Warwick & just received rejection for my first preference at LSE , it being MSc Finance & awaiting decision on Finance & Economics ! Lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.65%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
11.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
11.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (63)
13.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (50)
10.46%
Financial worries (29)
6.07%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
3.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.49%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.93%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (47)
9.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
7.95%

Watched Threads