The Student Room Group

Can I get a benefit if I have a job?

hi there, I recently started working, and after the pandemic, I am not getting shifts maybe 6 hours a week and that it! I signed up for a 16h per week but I barely work 6 hours a week and my employer can't really do anything because of coronavirus either that or I have to attend an early shift starting from 5 am which's impossible for me. Because there are no busses.
so how am I supposed to pay bills... is there some sort of a benefit that can help me cover my bills :frown: ? I am in a full- time education and part-time work which I am not really getting any shifts, and I live with my parents
I am 20 years old.
any help :/ ?
Depends what you earn
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mapleservers
Depends what you earn

my income is pretty low, I barely earn £40 a week.
Original post by Anonymous
my income is pretty low, I barely earn £40 a week.

Are you at uni or college?
Do you get an SFE loan?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Are you at uni or college?
Do you get an SFE loan?

I am at college atm, and I don't have a student loan atm as I am getting it in sep when I start going to uni.
I am at college atm, and I don't have a student loan atm as I am getting it in sep when I start going to uni.

You should apply for universal credit and tbh unless or until your job pays more you might as well quit or suspend.
You can also ask your college if they have any bursaries.
UC will get you about £60 a week and no work.
Your other option is stack shelves and apply now. You could make a lot of money with a 3 month contract.
College should essentially be over now.
You should apply for universal credit and tbh unless or until your job pays more you might as well quit or suspend.
You can also ask your college if they have any bursaries.
UC will get you about £60 a week and no work.
Your other option is stack shelves and apply now. You could make a lot of money with a 3 month contract.
College should essentially be over now.

He can’t get UC as he lives with parents, so they pay the bills also he works also he isn’t disabled
He can’t get UC as he lives with parents, so they pay the bills also he works also he isn’t disabled

He can claim it in his own right.
Them paying the bills is irrelevant.
Working is not an exclusion to a claim if the amount earned is low enough.
The disabled bit is a red herring.

If you want to link me where it says people cant claim UC because he lives with parents and they pay bills then fine.
Reply 8

Yes, I have read that...that's why I am asking if there's a way I could

If you want to link me where it says people cant claim UC because he lives with parents and they pay bills then fine.

I hope you're right... but is it possible to claim under these circumstances? what do you think?
my parents do pay the bills however they are not employed and they are on benefits as well...

I mean just check the gov website it says it all > his parent support him so it’s lower chance of getting it

If you want to link me where it says people cant claim UC because he lives with parents and they pa bills then fine.

I mean just check the gov website it says it all > his parent support him so it’s lower chance of getting it

Care to link it as you are the one saying it.
Care to link it as you are the one saying it.

Ok sure lol UC is to help with housing costs but because he lives with his parents who pay it he can’t get it

Link 1:
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/universal-credit

Link 2:
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=3b4d5b53-f12f-4d08-8736-3d8b4fe97ea2

Link 3:
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Link 4:
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility
I’ve got 4 links that say it which one do you want
Yes, I have read that...that's why I am asking if there's a way I could

I hope you're right... but is it possible to claim under these circumstances? what do you think?
my parents do pay the bills however they are not employed and they are on benefits as well...

It might depend if they are getting child benefit for you.
Far as I understand you should be able to claim UC in your own right for the JSA portion, which would act as a minimum income compared to your job. Money is deducted at 66% on any earnings until the UC has been covered. It makes working for say £60 a week end up with you getting £20 never mind the extra costs. In that sense I would just be on UC. The alternative as I said is get one of these supermarket jobs.
It might depend if they are getting child benefit for you.
Far as I understand you should be able to claim UC in your own right for the JSA portion, which would act as a minimum income compared to your job. Money is deducted at 66% on any earnings until the UC has been covered. It makes working for say £60 a week end up with you getting £20 never mind the extra costs. In that sense I would just be on UC. The alternative as I said is get one of these supermarket jobs.

I would prefer to work every time.. but I can't find a job at all but the one I am doing atm.. I have been applying for many jobs recently and all been rejected... I could earn a lot if I am working and tbh I am not doing anything atm so that's why I prefer to work.. but as I said not getting as many shifts so it's kinda a useless job.
I would prefer to work every time.. but I can't find a job at all but the one I am doing atm.. I have been applying for many jobs recently and all been rejected... I could earn a lot if I am working and tbh I am not doing anything atm so that's why I prefer to work.. but as I said not getting as many shifts so it's kinda a useless job.

Not sure what to make of that.
UC takes 5 weeks and might be even longer. It is £251.77. If you work then it will be deducted at 66% till you exceed that.
or get a job, but that wasnt the question.

You should also take into account what nony#2 says but get them to link it to you.
Not sure what to make of that.
UC takes 5 weeks and might be even longer. It is £251.77. If you work then it will be deducted at 66% till you exceed that.
or get a job, but that wasnt the question.

You should also take into account what nony#2 says but get them to link it to you.

oh wow 5 weeks! That's a lot. well anyways thanks for your help, I appreciate it
I nearly lost your post as my pc crashed.
I would need to look at the cpag guide about parental support and whether that counts when the parents themselves are on benefits.
In any event it looks like the OP can claim undert the new 80% coronoavirus rules although they will have to show how much they are losing. Depending on the hours then this should be more money than UC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending