How important are GCSE's and BTEC Level 3's when applying for a Masters?

Watch
JamieeDee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I graduated from Birkbeck University of London with a 1st class for my LLB and I am interested in applying to a better university for my Masters (UCL, KCL, LSE, etc) but my other qualifications aren't good at all.

My grades are:

GCSE's: ICT (B) Biology (C) English Language (C) Maths (C) Physics (D)

BTEC Level 3 (A Level Equivalent): ICT (Pass) Business Studies (Pass)

How important are GCSE's and A Level's when applying for a Masters?
Should I retake or take any new qualifications?
bennyj901
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
GCSEs are hardly relevant for your undergrad let alone Masters.... A levels are likely to receive some more attention however. The most important think will be your undergrad I would imagine
JamieeDee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
GCSEs are hardly relevant for your undergrad let alone Masters.... A levels are likely to receive some more attention however. The most important think will be your undergrad I would imagine
Do you think I would benefit by taking some A Levels?
Advertisement
bennyj901
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by JamieeDee)
Do you think I would benefit by taking some A Levels?
It depends who you ask. Some are of the view BTEC =/= A level and so may suggest you do, however I think if you have already done your undergrad, especially considering it was a 1st, it is pointless. You should be alright with what you have already.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by JamieeDee)
I graduated from Birkbeck University of London with a 1st class for my LLB and I am interested in applying to a better university for my Masters (UCL, KCL, LSE, etc) but my other qualifications aren't good at all.

My grades are:

GCSE's: ICT (B) Biology (C) English Language (C) Maths (C) Physics (D)

BTEC Level 3 (A Level Equivalent): ICT (Pass) Business Studies (Pass)

How important are GCSE's and A Level's when applying for a Masters?
Should I retake or take any new qualifications?
Masters degree applications don't usually ask for school grades, they are purely interested in your undergrad degree. However, presuming you are staying on the law track, there might be some interest in your A level equivalents. But I presume you've taken some less orthodox route through education, and that's fine.

Don't waste time retaking anything. These school results are about the trajectory you've been on, and you can't change that. Employers that want to see stellar grades throughout, wont look at you, even if you got a string of A*s now. Many employers will be more impressed by whatever has driven the turnaround in your grades/life/attitude.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (41)
59.42%
No (28)
40.58%

Watched Threads