Hermionejg23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I have been given places subject to conditions in the following universities: Cardiff (BBB), Bristol (AAA), Exeter (ABC) in English and French and also a place in UCL(AAA) but for comparative literature. My chosen course is English and French and I would lean more towards Exeter but I know UCL to be more prestigious and better for job opportunities. However, comparative literature is a relatively new course and I am unaware of the job prospects. What do you think I should do?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Hermionejg23)
I have been given places subject to conditions in the following universities: Cardiff (BBB), Bristol (AAA), Exeter (ABC) in English and French and also a place in UCL(AAA) but for comparative literature. My chosen course is English and French and I would lean more towards Exeter but I know UCL to be more prestigious and better for job opportunities. However, comparative literature is a relatively new course and I am unaware of the job prospects. What do you think I should do?
Personally I think you should Firm Exeter as it is the course you want to do and you obviously like the uni. London unis like UCL do not have very good student satisfaction rates and prestige is probably not even going to be relevant to your career unless you are aiming for something like investment banking.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi there!

I always find what prospective students fail to recognize is the different angles that you should look at potential universities from. You need ti pick the course that you want to do, of course but have you considered the lifestyle that each university will offer you? Have you looked at what support each one can offer? Is there employability services excellent?

There is so much to consider when selecting a firm choice and I urge you to think about more than a universities prestige or job opportunities because at the end of the day its you getting yourself that dream job at the end not your university. Give yourself some credit, its you who will put the work in no matter where you choose and its you who will make those opportunities happen. So where do you want to become that person? What university is going to suit the student you will become to achieve your goals? Do your research and you decision will be clear.

Hope this helps!
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
There are going to be 2 key issues you need to consider. Which course you prefer and what environment suits you best. Exeter and UCL are totally different environments. Exeter is a beautiful campus university in a very small town. UCL is a city university in the heart of one of the worlds most vibrant cities. Do you prefer the greenery of being in Exeter or the busy life London offers. In Exeter you will probably live in your first year in on campus accommodation. At UCL you are likely to be in hall some distance away possibly needing to catch a tube in or at least a fair walk away. However London certainly has more to offer in terms of entertainment but it is also much more costly. These are the factors you need to decide upon. Every person will think differently but the choice must be yours and what you prefer. There is more to picking a university than prestige and both are excellent universities.
Hermionejg23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Personally I think you should Firm Exeter as it is the course you want to do and you obviously like the uni. London unis like UCL do not have very good student satisfaction rates and prestige is probably not even going to be relevant to your career unless you are aiming for something like investment banking.
Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I’m thinking definitely Exeter now. Thank you again 🙂
Hermionejg23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi there!

I always find what prospective students fail to recognize is the different angles that you should look at potential universities from. You need ti pick the course that you want to do, of course but have you considered the lifestyle that each university will offer you? Have you looked at what support each one can offer? Is there employability services excellent?

There is so much to consider when selecting a firm choice and I urge you to think about more than a universities prestige or job opportunities because at the end of the day its you getting yourself that dream job at the end not your university. Give yourself some credit, its you who will put the work in no matter where you choose and its you who will make those opportunities happen. So where do you want to become that person? What university is going to suit the student you will become to achieve your goals? Do your research and you decision will be clear.

Hope this helps!
Hi, thank you so much! It really means a lot to have a university rep reply and I will certainly take the advice offered. Thank you 😊
Hermionejg23
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There are going to be 2 key issues you need to consider. Which course you prefer and what environment suits you best. Exeter and UCL are totally different environments. Exeter is a beautiful campus university in a very small town. UCL is a city university in the heart of one of the worlds most vibrant cities. Do you prefer the greenery of being in Exeter or the busy life London offers. In Exeter you will probably live in your first year in on campus accommodation. At UCL you are likely to be in hall some distance away possibly needing to catch a tube in or at least a fair walk away. However London certainly has more to offer in terms of entertainment but it is also much more costly. These are the factors you need to decide upon. Every person will think differently but the choice must be yours and what you prefer. There is more to picking a university than prestige and both are excellent universities.
Hi, thank you so much! All of the advice has been so helpful! I’m thinking definitely Exeter as my firm now. Thanks! 😊
Liverpool Hope University
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi, thank you so much! It really means a lot to have a university rep reply and I will certainly take the advice offered. Thank you 😊
Hey Hermionejg23

You are welcome! Let us know if we can help at all again.

Ashley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads