PhD Rejection but Application Recommended to Other Academics within Department

Watch
runbsd43
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello. I recently applied for a PhD programme at Oxford and was invited to interview over Skype. A week following my interview, I received a rejection from my prospective supervisor. However, they mentioned I was a "very good candidate for a DPhil" and that they would be recommending my application to other academics within the department. Just wondering if this is at all common and perhaps what to expect from this (if anything)? Thank you.
Grizwuld
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
There is nothing like a PhD

A PhD is for life
Keele University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by runbsd43)
Hello. I recently applied for a PhD programme at Oxford and was invited to interview over Skype. A week following my interview, I received a rejection from my prospective supervisor. However, they mentioned I was a "very good candidate for a DPhil" and that they would be recommending my application to other academics within the department. Just wondering if this is at all common and perhaps what to expect from this (if anything)? Thank you.
Hi runbsd43

I'm sorry that you were rejected however don't give it up!

It seems to me as if the supervisor that you interviewed with maybe felt the project you were proposing wasn't quite the right fit for them. This might be because once they had the full details of the proposal, they felt it wasn't exactly their area of expertise, or that their colleagues might be in a better position to support you through your PhD.

If they've suggested that you contact other academics within the department, I would definitely do so. You might also ask the person who interviewed you for some feedback on your project proposal - you might then find out why they've recommended you approach an alternative supervisor.

Hope that helps and best of luck with your applications!

Amy
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by runbsd43)
I think this is fairly unusual but I suspect I know the most likely reason,
- You are clearly a good candidate the supervisor would love to have, unfortunately the supervisor has already found a "better" applicant and either does not have time or funding for more PhD students, but clearly if they didnt find the other candidate probably would have accepted you nd hence is willing to forward your application to other academics within the field of study.

Other reasons:
-It could be the other candidate is someone the supervisor has worked with before
-Supervisor is looking at jobs abroad, knows they may leave the uni
-Supervisor is starting a big project or just got funding in a related but different field and is no longer interested in your PhD (unlikely)

Whatever the reason this is a good sign, there are polite ways to reject people. But here the supervisor is going out of their way to help, and shows you impressed them imo. Im sure given this you will find a PhD in an excellent research group in your field of study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (41)
59.42%
No (28)
40.58%

Watched Threads