UK measures need to tightened

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Boris Johnson hasn't really done anything new. He's basically still saying the same thing. How will this be enforced? There are no troops or police on the streets. How do you detemrine whether someone has gone out to exercise once or five times? Closing all shops barring food and pharmacies? Most shops were closing anyway. IMO, they need to shut down most if not all public transport in cities such as London, redefine who is an essential worker and who isn't to narow the list. Mobilise all army reserves and soldiers and deploy them to enforce lockdwon. Draconian punishments for breaking sanctions ranging from heavy fines to indefinite incarceration.

Personally, I think we could get around a lack of soldiers by helping to set up local militias and other groups of volunteers to patrol areas to enforce the lockdown. Similar powers to police, can fine and if need be detain rulebreakers.
Last edited by Ferrograd; 5 days ago
Treetop321
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They can't shut down all public transport due to the key workers. They need to get to work.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Treetop321)
They can't shut down all public transport due to the key workers. They need to get to work.
Shut down most of it. Have you seen the tubes? A lot of people still have cars.
Treetop321
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Shut down most of it. Have you seen the tubes? A lot of people still have cars.
Not all people have cars, especially in London. There will still be a lot of issues if you shut most of it. Those workers have to get to work.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Boris Johnson hasn't really done anything new. He's basically still saying the same thing. How will this be enforced? There are no troops or police on the streets. How do you detemrine whether someone has gone out to exercise once or five times? Closing all shops barring food and pharmacies? Most shops were closing anyway. IMO, they need to shut down most if not all public transport in cities such as London, redefine who is an essential worker and who isn't to narow the list. Mobilise all army reserves and soldiers and deploy them to enforce lockdwon. Draconian punishments for breaking sanctions ranging from heavy fines to indefinite incarceration.

Personally, I think we could get around a lack of soldiers by helping to set up local militias and other groups of volunteers to patrol areas to enforce the lockdown. Similar powers to police, can fine and if need be detain rulebreakers.
How many people do you think are in the police and armed forces?

And do you want random bunches of untrained numpties roaming the streets with 'power'? Not a chance.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
How many people do you think are in the police and armed forces?

And do you want random bunches of untrained numpties roaming the streets with 'power'? Not a chance.
I know, limited numbers yes.

But that's why I said the latter idea. Think about it, they could recieve some basic form of training. This is effectively a war-time situation in terms of the government's measures. In war time, there would be partistan groups being set up to resist an occupation as well as groups like the Home Guard. They could recieve some basic guidance from police and other authorities. Many of them could be parking wardens or other local officials. Local police and army cadet groups, especially given younger people are less vulnerable thoough I guess H&S would still be of concern.
StarGuardian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Are post offices closing?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I know, limited numbers yes.

But that's why I said the latter idea. Think about it, they could recieve some basic form of training. This is effectively a war-time situation in terms of the government's measures. In war time, there would be partistan groups being set up to resist an occupation as well as groups like the Home Guard. They could recieve some basic guidance from police and other authorities. Many of them could be parking wardens or other local officials. Local police and army cadet groups, especially given younger people are less vulnerable thoough I guess H&S would still be of concern.
Training from who?
How would you get groups together for long enough to be trained?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by StarGuardian)
Are post offices closing?
No
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Training from who?
How would you get groups together for long enough to be trained?
Idk. It's just an idea. Could do online video training. You don't need a great deal out of training to go out there in some kind of uniform and just issue fines or keep a watch on dissent. I agree there are concerns about accountability but i think that's the least of everyone's worries right now.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Idk. It's just an idea. Could do online video training. You don't need a great deal out of training to go out there in some kind of uniform and just issue fines or keep a watch on dissent. I agree there are concerns about accountability but i think that's the least of everyone's worries right now.
It's unworkable. You can't have randomers with no training wandering freely around the streets dishing out punishments with no accountability. It would be chaos.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
It's unworkable. You can't have randomers with no training wandering freely around the streets dishing out punishments with no accountability. It would be chaos.
It's not as if they'd be given guns or anything. I guess they could be considered civil servants so the government would therefore be accountable to the government. It's the only way you would be able to police the situation. This is where large dictatorships like china are in better position because they have millions of soldiers, paramilitary units, and police officers
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's not as if they'd be given guns or anything. I guess they could be considered civil servants so the government would therefore be accountable to the government. It's the only way you would be able to police the situation. This is where large dictatorships like china are in better position because they have millions of soldiers, paramilitary units, and police officers
That's not what accountability means. Who's out watching them to make sure they behave? What you've suggested sounds like nothing more than the daydreams of a child. They simply wouldn't work.

And no, they're not. In China's case they've got a population of nearly 2 billion... Just because they've got a few more in the police and armed forces doesn't mean they could cover the whole country.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
That's not what accountability means. Who's out watching them to make sure they behave? What you've suggested sounds like nothing more than the daydreams of a child. They simply wouldn't work.

And no, they're not. In China's case they've got a population of nearly 2 billion... Just because they've got a few more in the police and armed forces doesn't mean they could cover the whole country.
They managed to cover the worst hit areas though. Surely we should do the same for London, and i believe the WM is also particuarly badly hit. You could lock down inner London (which statisticlly is the worst area) and then if need be, branch out from there, to the area within the North Circ, then within the M25 and the entirety of GL if need be
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (100)
61.35%
No (63)
38.65%

Watched Threads