The Student Room Group

Will I still be able to go to Uni in September?

Probably the question on most student’s lips at the moment... I’m hoping to start at University of Leeds in September 2020 but the current climate has really got me worried about it. I’ve been looking forward to start this particular course for years and I will be heartbroken if I can’t start my course in September... The UK went on lockdown today so I’m really hoping this makes a drastic difference to how long this will last etc. Please also note that I understand that everyone’s lives and wellbeing’s are much more important than perhaps starting University a few months later, it’s just difficult when you’ve been building up for this moment for years and years.
Original post by kira_nx
Probably the question on most student’s lips at the moment... I’m hoping to start at University of Leeds in September 2020 but the current climate has really got me worried about it. I’ve been looking forward to start this particular course for years and I will be heartbroken if I can’t start my course in September... The UK went on lockdown today so I’m really hoping this makes a drastic difference to how long this will last etc. Please also note that I understand that everyone’s lives and wellbeing’s are much more important than perhaps starting University a few months later, it’s just difficult when you’ve been building up for this moment for years and years.

I very much doubt that the current situation of a lockdown will extend till Sept. Although it was a bit late coming, it should help flatten the curve. If you're happy with your grades, it's very likely that you'll start in Sept. Again, I'm not fully sure but I wouldn't worry too much just now
No one can say for now, sadly. At least you're in the same boat as everyone else.
Reply 3
Hi,

No one knows what is the situation going to be next September but let us look to the bright side.
The numbers of cases low comparable to the population of the city/country.
The numbers of recovered high comparable to the low number of death.
Many countries and organizations working hard to create cure medical.
5 months and 1 week till September, many things could happen during this time.
Some uni says they have a backup plan if the current situation continues as they will teach by distance learning.

For now, let just hope and wait.
Take care.
Original post by Hadal
Hi,

No one knows what is the situation going to be next September but let us look to the bright side.
The numbers of cases low comparable to the population of the city/country.
The numbers of recovered high comparable to the low number of death.
Many countries and organizations working hard to create cure medical.
5 months and 1 week till September, many things could happen during this time.
Some uni says they have a backup plan if the current situation continues as they will teach by distance learning.

For now, let just hope and wait.
Take care.

Distance learning HA. They'll still extort us for it. Ridiculous.
No one knows. But hopefully by September Unis will be open again. If people stick to the new "lockdown" restrictions and stop the spread. China is already slowly going back to normal over the past few days. If we are sensible then we could get through it quickly.
Reply 6
Original post by vicvic38
Distance learning HA. They'll still extort us for it. Ridiculous.

Agreed. My course is almost entirely practical and involves a lot of contact time and without this contact, successfully completing the course in 3 years will be impossible.
Oh I HOPE soooo much it will be. I understand that there will definitely be distance learning at least, but I want the full experience! Was so excited to join societies, make friends and go out every night 🙃🙃 I know it’s extremely selfish and I completely put the health of the nation before my needs but I reallllyyyy want it to be on properly
Original post by kira_nx

Hello, congratulations on getting into Leeds!
I understand how worried you must be but I believe from watching the news that lockdown should be over in a few months. I absolutely can not say that I am 100% certain about this but I believe you will be fine to start University in September. For now, keep your eyes peeled on legitimate News sources (such as BBC news - not social media). I believe in 2 weeks time we will get another update from Boris Johnson on the lockdown situation.
For now though, try to keep up the excitement for Uni by starting to look at societies you could join or make some packing check lists if you would like.
Wishing you all the best!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by kira_nx

The UK government are now saying it could be till Christmas time and beyond keep an eye on the daily news
Original post by laughinglad999
The UK government are now saying it could be till Christmas time and beyond keep an eye on the daily news

I’m not saying your wrong at all just interested, what’s your source for that ?

When did they say that???
Original post by wastedcuriosity
When did they say that???

l heard it on the update on TV yesterday things are very bad the UK Government dont want to worry the public just sit tight and keep an eye on the news on the TV and keep in touch with your University
l heard it on the update on TV yesterday things are very bad the UK Government dont want to worry the public just sit tight and keep an eye on the news on the TV and keep in touch with your University

Oh, I haven't heard that on the daily press conferences as of yet so not too sure where that's come from! Yes things are bad, but looks like we might be reaching the peak by Easter
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Oh, I haven't heard that on the daily press conferences as of yet so not too sure where that's come from! Yes things are bad, but looks like we might be reaching the peak by Easter

Might be true? but thats only what the Government are saying to keep people calm they dont want to scare the public its another 6 month till September so l do hope things get better and that you get to University take care
Might be true? but thats only what the Government are saying to keep people calm they dont want to scare the public its another 6 month till September so l do hope things get better and that you get to University take care

Hi l looked up the internet l typed in will coronavirusUK be over by Christmas and it says no you should go and have a look at it
Hi l looked up the internet l typed in will coronavirusUK be over by Christmas and it says no you should go and have a look at it

Well no, of course coronavirus won't be over by xmas, the virus is going to be around for a long time. But I imagine the strict lockdown will be over by then :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hello, congratulations on getting into Leeds!
I understand how worried you must be but I believe from watching the news that lockdown should be over in a few months. I absolutely can not say that I am 100% certain about this but I believe you will be fine to start University in September. For now, keep your eyes peeled on legitimate News sources (such as BBC news - not social media). I believe in 2 weeks time we will get another update from Boris Johnson on the lockdown situation.
For now though, try to keep up the excitement for Uni by starting to look at societies you could join or make some packing check lists if you would like.
Wishing you all the best!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Original post by kira_nx

Hi @kira_nx
Congratulation on getting your place at Leeds.
Furthering on from what Erin so rightly said.
Keep an eye out for official communications sent out by them as well, because they'll be the ones who will ultimately decide when on-site teach begins etc.
All the best
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest