The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends if you actually like those hobbies, or are only doing them to have something to talk about.

It's well worth trying new things to find out though :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Depends. Reading isn't a weird or interesting hobby, but most interesting and conversationally engaging people I meet are avid readers. If you're a generally sociable, friendly and passionate speaker you're automatically interesting.

I would encourage trying out new hobbies but don't pursue any you don't enjoy
Reply 3
Ho

Original post by ThomH97
Depends if you actually like those hobbies, or are only doing them to have something to talk about.

It's well worth trying new things to find out though :smile:

How can I try new things? What's the best way?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Ho

How can I try new things? What's the best way?

What things were you thinking about when you made this thread?
In some cases it does, if you doing something ore out of the current norms, you are more likely to engage audiences who may have not had the opportunity to engage in these so-called hobbies.
Reply 6
Original post by ThomH97
What things were you thinking about when you made this thread?

I was thinking something completely out of the ordinary. Something that if you told anyone that you did it they would say, "you do what😂" Something interesting and not silly. Something that would make people want to ask questions and know more about me👍
Reply 7
In some cases it does, if you doing something ore out of the current norms, you are more likely to engage audiences who may have not had the opportunity to engage in these so-called hobbies.

Yeah I am thinking about that.
Maybe I should start doing it?
Reply 8
I was thinking something completely out of the ordinary. Something that if you told anyone that you did it they would say, "you do what😂" Something interesting and not silly. Something that would make people want to ask questions and know more about me👍

That's fine, but make sure you actually enjoy it. Think how you'd answer differently if someone asked you to talk about your hobby and it was just peacocking rather than trying a variety of things and finding something you genuinely enjoy.
Yes, depending on the hobby and how enthusiastic you are.
Potential to generate plenty of curiosity and interest, can be a great way of keeping conversations going.
For example: goga (goat yoga), truffle hunting, collecting ornate model train-sets, making impressive looking novelty party cakes, handmaking teddy bears plus their outfits or organising toy animal picnics.

But do bear in mind that some unusual hobbies can alarm people.
Like samurai sword collecting, nazi memorabilia, cage fighting, breeding poisonous animals or anything connected with extreme violence/kink.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ThomH97
That's fine, but make sure you actually enjoy it. Think how you'd answer differently if someone asked you to talk about your hobby and it was just peacocking rather than trying a variety of things and finding something you genuinely enjoy.

Thanks. I would be interested if there was an app or book that would give me suggestions on unusual interesting hobbies like a book called 101 interesting and unusual hobbies(I'm not sure something like that exists😂😂) would be cool though
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, depending on the hobby and how enthusiastic you are.
Potential to generate plenty of curiosity and interest, can be a great way of keeping conversations going.
For example: goga (goat yoga), truffle hunting, collecting ornate model train-sets, making impressive looking novelty party cakes, handmaking teddy bears plus their outfits or organising toy animal picnics.

But do bear in mind that some unusual hobbies can alarm people.
Like samurai sword collecting, nazi memorabilia, cage fighting, breeding poisonous animals or anything connected with extreme violence/kink.

Thanks. I would be interested if there was an app or book that would give me suggestions on unusual interesting hobbies like a book called 101 interesting and unusual hobbies(I'm not sure something like that exists😂😂) would be cool though
Yeah I am thinking about that.
Maybe I should start doing it?

yeah
Reply 13
Will doing more(weird and different) hobbies and being in unusual groups of people make me more of an interesting person or not?

Maybe , but you will meet more people who may become friends of yours!
As part of my homeschooling in History class we attended a battle reenactment from the War Between the States (aka American Civil War). We met and chatted with dozens of "living historians" (reenactors) who do this as a hobby. Being too young and too small to serve in the proper Army, though, I was recruited as a drummer boy in Hardy's Brigade (Confederate mostly, but when needed they dress in Union blue and portray a different unit). You just never know what you might find!

We raise horses around here, so when I'm older if I want to, I could "serve" in the Cavalry reenacting. I have learned a lot of history doing this for about a year now (still a drummer boy) and it has made History my favorite school subject.

If you love history like I do, find some "living history" events and talk with those people. If you love performing arts, find something cool and unusual like learning to play the bagpipes, or folk dances. To delight an audience must be very gratifying, and the fellowship among performers seems very special.

Latest

Trending

Trending