The Student Room Group

Deferring then possibly withdrawing from Masters?

So I'm applying to Birmingham and Kent for Medieval Studies/Early Modern and Medieval Studies, and I decided a few weeks ago to defer my start date from the 2020-21 academic year to 2021-22 academic year if they offer me a place, since both their websites say I can only apply for a deferral afterwards. I've nearly finished both my applications, but I wanted to see if this is possible just because my situation is a bit complicated.

The only problem I'm having is that I'm taking a year out not just to work, but to make sure I want to do those masters instead a masters in a similar field, but that specifically requires a masters in that field (which are very competitive) if I want to work outside academia in that field. And if I do decide I want to continue with Medieval Studies, I want to reapply to another university I already applied to this year which rejected me, because I really messed up my application and I know I can do better.

Because of all that, I'm wondering in case anyone has any experience with this sort of thing - if I get an offer and accept it (with the deferred start date), will I still be able to cancel during the 2020-21 academic year? They mention stuff about refunds and everything, but if I defer I don't think I'd be paying anything until summer of 2021, which'd be accommodation, so that's not a concern, just my ability to withdraw from the course before I start it is.
Original post by theredwoman
So I'm applying to Birmingham and Kent for Medieval Studies/Early Modern and Medieval Studies, and I decided a few weeks ago to defer my start date from the 2020-21 academic year to 2021-22 academic year if they offer me a place, since both their websites say I can only apply for a deferral afterwards. I've nearly finished both my applications, but I wanted to see if this is possible just because my situation is a bit complicated.

The only problem I'm having is that I'm taking a year out not just to work, but to make sure I want to do those masters instead a masters in a similar field, but that specifically requires a masters in that field (which are very competitive) if I want to work outside academia in that field. And if I do decide I want to continue with Medieval Studies, I want to reapply to another university I already applied to this year which rejected me, because I really messed up my application and I know I can do better.

Because of all that, I'm wondering in case anyone has any experience with this sort of thing - if I get an offer and accept it (with the deferred start date), will I still be able to cancel during the 2020-21 academic year? They mention stuff about refunds and everything, but if I defer I don't think I'd be paying anything until summer of 2021, which'd be accommodation, so that's not a concern, just my ability to withdraw from the course before I start it is.

As long as you aren't required to pay a non-refundable deposit that you'd want back, then I'm pretty sure you can bow out before you start. Have you asked the universities as to whether this would be possible? I doubt they would mind you asking.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
As long as you aren't required to pay a non-refundable deposit that you'd want back, then I'm pretty sure you can bow out before you start. Have you asked the universities as to whether this would be possible? I doubt they would mind you asking.

I've considered asking them, but tbh I've been putting it off because I'm worried it might impact my chances of getting an offer. I know it's unlikely to be the case, but I figured it was worth asking on here first before double-checking with the universities.
Original post by theredwoman

Hey there!
So pleased to hear you're hoping to study at the University of Kent :biggrin: I'm an official rep for the University of Kent here on TSR :smile:
Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience in applying for a deferred masters! But the best thing you can do is speak to someone from the Recruitment and Admissions team as they will have the most up to date and accurate information about this sort of thing. I noticed you said below you were worried contacting them could hinder your application, and I wanted to reassure you that contacting the university for an admissions question will not be recorded on your application at all, and will not be considered as part of your application so there is no harm in contacting them :smile: After all, the University are looking to take on new students so they will want to help you with the application process and any questions you have.
Here is the link to the Recruitment and Admissions contact information.
I hope that you can get the answers that you need :smile: And best of luck with everything :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending