hi! I took AS psych aldy so idm helping out if I can
Aresya
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aresya)
I don’t think its actually that possible to have a directional hypothesis for Milgram since the IV is not considered clear (since the IV is either obey or disobey). His first hypothesis was the germans are different hypothesis where he assumed the germans are more susceptible to authority figures thus being more obedient. But other than that I don’t think there is a particular directional hypothesis for this study from what I’ve learnt. Sorry I can’t be of more help to you 😅
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A hypothesis is a prediction of the relationship between the two variables which are being tested in the experiment. In a directional hypothesis, you should state clearly whether the independent/explanatory variable has a positive (i.e. increasing) or negative (decreasing) effect on the dependant/response variable.

You need to first identify the independent and dependant variables in Milgram's study, and then decide what effect the independant variable would have on the dependant variable.
The independent variable here is whether or not the 'experimenter' was presented as an authoritative figure, and the dependant variable is how far the participant (the 'teacher') was willing to follow their orders. However, you should be as specific as possible in your hypothesis about how those variables were measured/operationalized in the actual experiment.
Katie.alice16xxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have a set of questions I’m really stuck with
Katie.alice16xxx
Rep:
?
How were the iv and dv operationalised In Milgrams study
Aresya
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Katie.alice16xxx)
How were the iv and dv operationalised In Milgrams study
Ok so operationalization in the simplest way to explain it is making a variable measurable and in the 1963 study the DV is obedience of the participant. This obedience is measured by the level of electric shocks administered by the participant (teacher). The IV however is not very clear as in the 1963 study nothing was manipulated from one trial to another
Katie.alice16xxx
Rep:
?
Ok so operationalization in the simplest way to explain it is making a variable measurable and in the 1963 study the DV is obedience of the participant. This obedience is measured by the level of electric shocks administered by the participant (teacher). The IV however is not very clear as in the 1963 study nothing was manipulated from one trial to another
Thank you so much !! Could you name how many independent variables there was in the study (:
Aresya
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you so much !! Could you name how many independent variables there was in the study (:
no worries! glad to help. ok so the IVs that I’ve written in my notes are obey or disobey, instrumentalities of experiment, form of command and social setting. But again there’s no clear IV and my notes are based on my teachers slides and I’m an international CAIE student so just bear that in mind. Maybe you can refer to the journal for a clearer answer
Katie.alice16xxx
Rep:
?
no worries! glad to help. ok so the IVs that I’ve written in my notes are obey or disobey, instrumentalities of experiment, form of command and social setting. But again there’s no clear IV and my notes are based on my teachers slides and I’m an international CAIE student so just bear that in mind. Maybe you can refer to the journal for a clearer answer
Thank you (:
Aresya
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you (:
no worries!! good luck with your work and I hope you’re staying safe and healthy considering the current situation right now
Katie.alice16xxx
Rep:
?
no worries!! good luck with your work and I hope you’re staying safe and healthy considering the current situation right now
You too having to do all school work from home so it’s difficult (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads