wellsey_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I don't know whether I should pick film or media studies for my A-Levels. I currently study Media Studies at GCSE and am doing very well in it (8s/9s). However I do find that learning about website and newspaper industries are quite boring and found myself most engaged in the music video and film and TV industry units. Therefore I'm curious about whether I should just take film as this A-level is going to be my 'fun' a-level.
Below are the descriptions my college gives for either:

FILM STUDIES:
"Film Studies takes both a theoretical and practical approach to this major contemporary art form. The course involves the study of British, American and World Cinema from a range of different critical approaches including narrative, genre and representation. Students will consider the significance of various movements such as surrealism and documentary in the history of film, before applying their knowledge creatively through a practical project involving screenwriting and short film-making."

MEDIA STUDIES:
"Understanding the Media and examining its role in society is key to our culture. During this course students will analyse a range of different media texts and develop an understanding of the forms and conventions of media language, whilst considering the issues of social representation. The changing relationship between media industries and audiences in the digital age will also be explored.
The course culminates with in-depth studies of news and long-form TV drama, where students will apply and evaluate relevant critical theory. Assessment is primarily through written exam, although practically assessed coursework gives students the opportunity to shape their own media texts, developing skills in moving image production and web design."

Media or Film studies is something that in the past I've debated taking further (uni) but I have another subject in mind. I don't know if it would be better to take media as it is a bit broader than film studies or if I should just do film.

Alongside one of these subjects I am planning to take History, Classical Civilisations and possibly a Latin Certificate. Classical Civilisations I plan to take at uni.
University of Winchester
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I had a similar dilemma when I was picking my A levels!

I eventually went with Film and really enjoyed it, I found focusing on one medium allows you to gain an in depth understanding around the history and movements that shape the artistic content of film. I think the key separation is in the first sentence of the subject descriptions, Media focuses on how all media affects society and film studies goes a bit further into dissecting the art form.

If you find that you don't want to learn about all aspects of the Media and find film units more engaging I would lean towards Film at A level. At the end of the day though, it is up to you and you've done the right thing by asking.

Picking a degree will become clearer as you go through your A levels, but it's good that you have this in mind already!

Luke
wellsey_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by University of Winchester)
I had a similar dilemma when I was picking my A levels!

I eventually went with Film and really enjoyed it, I found focusing on one medium allows you to gain an in depth understanding around the history and movements that shape the artistic content of film. I think the key separation is in the first sentence of the subject descriptions, Media focuses on how all media affects society and film studies goes a bit further into dissecting the art form.

If you find that you don't want to learn about all aspects of the Media and find film units more engaging I would lean towards Film at A level. At the end of the day though, it is up to you and you've done the right thing by asking.

Picking a degree will become clearer as you go through your A levels, but it's good that you have this in mind already!

Luke
Thank you, I probably will end up doing film studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (474)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (584)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (292)
20.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise