The Student Room Group

KCL Mental Health Studies - Job Prospects???

Hi, so i'm thinking about doing the Mental Health Studies MSc at Kings but I want to get a perspective on how previous students of the course found getting work after. I'm interested in hearing about what work people have gone onto do after this MSc and how they found getting those jobs?

I'm thinking about doing mental health studies to boost my job prospects but I want to make sure that in a couple of years I wont find myself still unable to get a place on a clinical psychology doctorate with no alternative path to take. So i'm just wondering how people got on after the course ? (and how you found the course if you fancy talking about it)
It's a good question to ask, but it's worth noting that there is no route that guarantees you a place on a DClinPsy. Any MSc, including the one you mention, will be a single part of a much larger portfolio of clinical experience, academic achievement and other skills you will have to pick up before you apply for training.

If you are of the belief that the MSc would be 'wasted' if you never got onto a DClinPsy, and it's going to create severe financial strain for you or your family, then I probably wouldn't risk it. It's currently a 15% acceptance rate which means 85% of applicants (most of whom have some postgrad qualificaiton or training) don't get on. However, if you were thinking of doing an MSc anyway, are passionate about the subject, and was willing to be quite flexible about the potential avenues that it may lead to then defintely consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest