Jane/22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi I’m wanting to study history and modern languages but I wasn’t offered a modern language at gcse or a level. There’s about 8 unis im looking at and they all say ‘no previous language qualification required for beginners level’ . I’m just wondering if there is anyone who didn’t have any language qualification and applied to do a language at joint honours.
Thanks in advance,
Jane
kattarina
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hey! I'm probably not the person you want to speak to as I'm in Y13 applying for economics, but I was interested into doing a joint honours with a language for a short period of time and I can give you some advice as to what I learned. I'd spoken to a student at Edinburgh University and she said when she went into her first tutorial for the new language, everybody already had some basic understanding - probably about GCSE level - of the 'new' language (it was advertised for BEGINNERS) but that's nothing to be scared about. You have a lot of courage to be even considering this, so that shows the type of person/ learner that you are! Languages are so great to have on your CV. The reason I decided against it is only because I then wouldn't get the freedom I wanted with my economics degree, as your optional modules are then limited for some reason. Good luck with your application!
Jane/22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by kattarina)
Hey! I'm probably not the person you want to speak to as I'm in Y13 applying for economics, but I was interested into doing a joint honours with a language for a short period of time and I can give you some advice as to what I learned. I'd spoken to a student at Edinburgh University and she said when she went into her first tutorial for the new language, everybody already had some basic understanding - probably about GCSE level - of the 'new' language (it was advertised for BEGINNERS) but that's nothing to be scared about. You have a lot of courage to be even considering this, so that shows the type of person/ learner that you are! Languages are so great to have on your CV. The reason I decided against it is only because I then wouldn't get the freedom I wanted with my economics degree, as your optional modules are then limited for some reason. Good luck with your application!
Ahh thank you! Just knowing that people can do it is reassuring enough as it’s been really hard trying to find and locate people who have or anyone who knows someone who has so thank you! Good luck with university and your a level results because with exams being cancelled it must be pretty nerve racking. Hope everything goes to plan and you get to where you want to be !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads