Mental illness and the breaking down of family relations

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I have been fighting with depression for the past 3 years now. In December to January things were very bad. My family weren't very supportive to the point that they said I have no mental illness and to stop using mental illness as an excuse for my behaviour.Since the New Years I haven't spoken to my aunt or my cousins even once. They haven't bothered making an effort to contact me so I don't want to reach out to them. I only spoken with my grandma twice because she had an operation. I used to be really close with my family we would talk more than once a week now our communication is nonexistent.

The fact that none of them bothered to reach out perhaps is a sign that they don't care to maintain any relations with me either. Part of me thinks I should just break all sort of contact with them and not bother. What we once had no longer is or perhaps we never had anything to begin with.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Break contact and cut them off if they aren't bothering with you.

You should see a doctor regarding your mental illness.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Analyst89)
Break contact and cut them off if they aren't bothering with you.

You should see a doctor regarding your mental illness.
I am seeing a doctor about my mental illness.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Just a guess....but you glossed over 'My behviour', depending on what that is, there might be good/understandable cause for people keeping distance from you?

This is just my 2p, But I think society in general is a bit less accepting of hiding behind mental issues now...the flip side to them being far more widely known and discussed is you're expected to do something about them and not let them bleed into others lives. Not saying this is you, but it happens, I've seen a lot of people dumped/cast out not so much for them having metal health issues, but because they keep making them everyone else's issues yet not doing anything about it.
Last edited by StriderHort; 4 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Just a guess....but you glossed over 'My behviour', depending on what that is, there might be good/understandable cause for people keeping distance from you?

This is just my 2p, But I think society in general is a bit less accepting of hiding behind mental issues now...the flip side to them being far more widely known and discussed is you're expected to do something about them and not let them bleed into others lives. Not saying this is you, but it happens, I've seen a lot of people dumped/cast out not so much for them having metal health issues, but because they keep making them everyone else's issues yet not doing anything about it.
I don't think it is fair to say that I am not doing anything about my mental health issues because I am, I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the past 2 years and different mental health teams in order to work through my issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads