Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This afternoon, the SQA have confirmed that no Higher or Advanced Higher coursework will be marked by the SQA, and that the same applies for the small number of Nat 5 subjects where the SQA coursework deadline has not yet been reached.

You can read the full statement here.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Does it make you more worried or less worried about the grades you'll get? Do you feel their statement raises more questions than it answers?
Vladimir Poutine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand it is a complex and difficult situation but that doesn’t make it any less annoying. The decisions which have been made were all obviously necessary, but there’s just so many questions and flaws with the certification process which really unsettle me.

Prelims forming such a large part of predicted grades is clearly a problem. First, schools have sat many different prelims so we are not being judged on an equal basis; some schools will have done much more formal, tricky papers to others whereas with a final exam there is no doubt, it is one exam for everyone (not that this model is ideal either, but it’s better). Also, as we hear more commonly, we are told that they are insignificant and count for nothing, so for SQA to retroactively say that we will be judged on them is plainly unfair. Professional teacher estimates on the whole I have some faith in, however there is a risk of quieter pupils who know their stuff going unrecognised - only need to hope they have been submitting work regularly and doing assessments, etc.

Now regarding this decision on coursework, it again feels like there is less of a level playing field. Assignments are generally seen as an opportunity to boost your final grade and if that is only being afforded to certain people just because of timing it seems like this would create more inequality of opportunity.

That said, people running riot on the internet with petitions to have exams go ahead or postpone are just being stupid. To reverse anything now would only cause more uncertainty and chaos, we just need to be resilient and patient with it all.
xelliexx223
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have spent 20+ hours doing Advanced higher experimental work and had so many mental breakdowns and since they said last week that coursework is going to be used I have worked so hard to complete and have 2x 20 page projects in order to at least have a chance to pass but no, all this is gonna go to waste.
SQA also need to clarify his appeal is going to work.
Really really disappointed
Kubsyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me this is very annoying. I have put so much time and being worried about my business, english and admin courseworks to get more marks (especially for admin when I failed the prelim because it was too hard!!!) then it just went to the bin. And I wonder what grades I will get from „estimates” when prelim grades don’t really mean that you will get it as your final grade. Devastated
Chicken tenders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Meh, it is what it is, the situation is out of my reach.
demfeels
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So we don't have to hand in any dissertations or assignments?
Yippeekiyay
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
For me this is very annoying. I have put so much time and being worried about my business, english and admin courseworks to get more marks (especially for admin when I failed the prelim because it was too hard!!!) then it just went to the bin. And I wonder what grades I will get from „estimates” when prelim grades don’t really mean that you will get it as your final grade. Devastated
Please try not to worry. This work won't have gone to waste. If you have completed these assignments already then your teachers will look at them and take this work into account when making their estimates.
Vladimir Poutine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by demfeels)
So we don't have to hand in any dissertations or assignments?
Not to SQA (for H and AH ) but teachers could still use to inform grades I think
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Vladimir Poutine)
I understand it is a complex and difficult situation but that doesn’t make it any less annoying. The decisions which have been made were all obviously necessary, but there’s just so many questions and flaws with the certification process which really unsettle me.

Prelims forming such a large part of predicted grades is clearly a problem. First, schools have sat many different prelims so we are not being judged on an equal basis; some schools will have done much more formal, tricky papers to others whereas with a final exam there is no doubt, it is one exam for everyone (not that this model is ideal either, but it’s better). Also, as we hear more commonly, we are told that they are insignificant and count for nothing, so for SQA to retroactively say that we will be judged on them is plainly unfair. Professional teacher estimates on the whole I have some faith in, however there is a risk of quieter pupils who know their stuff going unrecognised - only need to hope they have been submitting work regularly and doing assessments, etc.

Now regarding this decision on coursework, it again feels like there is less of a level playing field. Assignments are generally seen as an opportunity to boost your final grade and if that is only being afforded to certain people just because of timing it seems like this would create more inequality of opportunity.

That said, people running riot on the internet with petitions to have exams go ahead or postpone are just being stupid. To reverse anything now would only cause more uncertainty and chaos, we just need to be resilient and patient with it all.
From what they've said so far, I think that when it comes to prelims as part of the evidence for estimated grades, the SQA will need to do some moderation to make sure that nobody is advantaged/disadvantaged by easier/harder prelims...Obviously they've not completely confirmed what's happening, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have something like that.

I agree with your point on quieter pupils - there's a few different factors where I think there could be teacher bias (for the most part, not intentionally of course). Hopefully though they'll have a decent method when it comes to what happens if you don't think your awarded grade matches the one you think you should get.

Couldn't have said the last sentence better either!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by xelliexx223)
I have spent 20+ hours doing Advanced higher experimental work and had so many mental breakdowns and since they said last week that coursework is going to be used I have worked so hard to complete and have 2x 20 page projects in order to at least have a chance to pass but no, all this is gonna go to waste.
SQA also need to clarify his appeal is going to work.
Really really disappointed
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Can understand you both being frustrated/disappointed, especially after all the work you've put in :sadnod:
Your coursework isn't all for nothing though - remember that these will be used as part of the evidence that your teachers have of what grade you're working at
Agree there's still so many unanswered questions at the minute, hopefully we'll know more soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (213)
33.7%
No (419)
66.3%

Watched Threads