Is a MPhil from Oxbridge worth it ?

Watch
Céléhimé
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello everyone, I have been offered a place to study in the MPhil of Criminological Research at Cambridge but I do not know if I should accept it. Since my first year in Psychology, I know that I want to become a Researcher but the areas which interested me the most were Criminology and Forensic Psychology. Unfortunately, they do not really exist in my home country and I had the idea to bring them back from UK. To do that I had to learn English. I went 5 months to Norway during my third year. The same year I have been undergraduated and I have been selected in a MSc program in Forensic Psychology which I am currently finishing. 3 months ago I applied to Cambridge without believing they would offer me a place but... here I am. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy about this, but I am now full of doubts. At first, I thought that getting a degree from there would open me a lot of doors -especially if I want to develop Criminological Research in France but the truth is… I don't know that. One of my current professor advises me to engage in a PhD there, after my MPhil, but is it really worth it ? I mean, all the people whit whom I have discussed about the benefits of being a researcher are well established researchers and do not really talk about the frustration they can experience. In sum, I am a bit scared to not really know what exactly is a student life at Cam, and more importantly the life of a researcher with a degree from Cambridge. If some of you could share your experiences, whatever the University you went, that could help .
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Céléhimé)
Hello everyone, I have been offered a place to study in the MPhil of Criminological Research at Cambridge but I do not know if I should accept it. Since my first year in Psychology, I know that I want to become a Researcher but the areas which interested me the most were Criminology and Forensic Psychology. Unfortunately, they do not really exist in my home country and I had the idea to bring them back from UK.
Changing how things are done in any country will take time, and more than one person.

(Original post by Céléhimé)
One of my current professor advises me to engage in a PhD there, after my MPhil, but is it really worth it ? I mean, all the people whit whom I have discussed about the benefits of being a researcher are well established researchers and do not really talk about the frustration they can experience. In sum, I am a bit scared to not really know what exactly is a student life at Cam, and more importantly the life of a researcher with a degree from Cambridge. If some of you could share your experiences, whatever the University you went, that could help .
Would you enjoy it, and can you finance it? Would you want to work in the UK afterwards?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
All the people I know with MPhils from Oxbridge say that it was worth it for them; in terms of both time and financial investment.
Some criminology students.
They all enjoyed their courses, student experience and accessing a variety of academic & social networking opportunities.
Céléhimé
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Changing how things are done in any country will take time, and more than one person.

Would you enjoy it, and can you finance it? Would you want to work in the UK afterwards?
Hello,
I can finance the MPhil. Regarding the PhD, definitely not alone... I mean is it possible to finance a PhD without any scholarships ?

And I don't know I would enjoy the lectures but I have applied because I was interested in Criminology that I know from all my readings.

Living in another country does not bother me.
Last edited by Céléhimé; 3 days ago
Céléhimé
Rep:
?
Sorry I didn't see your first post.
That is one of my main concern. I know some universities in the UK analyze the way things are done in France (there is a big lack of scientifisation in forensic frameworks regarding some of our procedures) and some researchers are slowly expanding their scope of interest in Law and in Psychology. I tried to contact law professors but none of them replied (not to force the discussion ^^' but just to get some information). Fortunately, I am regularly in touch with Professors in Psychology in UK as in France, may be they could give me a lead.
Last edited by Céléhimé; 3 days ago
Céléhimé
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
All the people I know with MPhils from Oxbridge say that it was worth it for them; in terms of both time and financial investment.
Some criminology students.
They all enjoyed their courses, student experience and accessing a variety of academic & social networking opportunities.
Thanks for your time! That's really kind !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (40)
58.82%
No (28)
41.18%

Watched Threads