BronteandDickens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently writing about the Victorian novel concerning contextual psychology and psychoanalysis and I am just wondering which texts best relate to this topic.
I was considering 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' as one perhaps, and Dickens' 'Great Expectations'. Although 'Great Expectations' does not deal with any specific psychological theory as much, it does present a psychological development of Pip and other characters. Miss Havisham seems to suffer mentally as well as psychologically abusing Estella, but is this relevant or not? Perhaps Stevenson's novel is better at tackling this topic, but I would like to know your thoughts?
Thanks!
P.s. I only invite polite answers so please be respectful
tulipsinrain
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is quite a good one because a number of things spring to mind: borderline personality disorder, Freud's theory of personality (id, ego, superego), hysteria. Great expectations is trickier. Most of the psychology would revolve around Miss Havisham - social isolation, depression, anxiety from past trauma. From behavioural psychology, you could argue that Pip's attempts to be better (successful) so he could be with Estelle is an example of positive reinforcement.
BronteandDickens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tulipsinrain)
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is quite a good one because a number of things spring to mind: borderline personality disorder, Freud's theory of personality (id, ego, superego), hysteria. Great expectations is trickier. Most of the psychology would revolve around Miss Havisham - social isolation, depression, anxiety from past trauma. From behavioural psychology, you could argue that Pip's attempts to be better (successful) so he could be with Estelle is an example of positive reinforcement.
Thank you this is extremely helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
17.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32.79%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.84%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.1%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
23.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.64%

Watched Threads