Macrophage155
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I will be returning to University in September to study Medicine. I started my first undergraduate degree in 2009 and was completely fine with taking handwritten notes in lectures for the 4 years, but I feel things may have moved on a bit in the meantime and it is more efficient to take notes and follow lecture slides on a tablet or iPad.

I know it depends on the individual and their preferred way of learning/note-taking, but is a tablet recommended for note taking?
TazmeenX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Pros: You won't lose ur notes (they're all in the same place), easy to edit and they'll look much neater on your ipad. Also no paper so more environmentally friendly

Cons: people say you won't remember it as well compared to if you hand wrote them, your charge could run out half way during a lecture and (unless you back all your notes up) you could lose all of them if your ipad breaks
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Macrophage155)
I will be returning to University in September to study Medicine. I started my first undergraduate degree in 2009 and was completely fine with taking handwritten notes in lectures for the 4 years, but I feel things may have moved on a bit in the meantime and it is more efficient to take notes and follow lecture slides on a tablet or iPad.

I know it depends on the individual and their preferred way of learning/note-taking, but is a tablet recommended for note taking?
It's a brilliant way, get Notability and import the lecture slides to annotate on them. It's a much better way of taking down notes than typing on a laptop or writing on paper.

Notability also has a auto-backup feature.

(Original post by TazmeenX)
Cons: people say you won't remember it as well compared to if you hand wrote them
You'll be hand writing them anyways with an iPad and Apple pencil :eyeball:
TazmeenX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
It's a brilliant way, get Notability and import the lecture slides to annotate on them. It's a much better way of taking down notes than typing on a laptop or writing on paper.

Notability also has a auto-backup feature.

You'll be hand writing them anyways with an iPad and Apple pencil :eyeball:
oh i thought that they were gunna type up the notes never mind lol
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I would just caution against doing absolutely everything on a tablet or computer. I regularly encounter students who are so unaccustomed to marshalling their thoughts for long-format writing such as essays using pen and paper that when the examinations come, they really struggle to put together a coherent answer. You must retain the ability to write for extended periods of time on paper (without the benefit of being able to CTRL-X, CTRL-V everything, spell-check, etc) - and this can only be done by fairly regular practice.
lollypop_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

When I started Uni I used to write notes out until I purchased an iPad. In my opinion, it's a lot faster to type your notes and you have the bonus of being able to back them up and edit them more easily. If you do get an iPad I would recommend you get a case with a Bluetooth keyboard (I got one from Amazon). I also downloaded a notes app (Goodnotes 7) and got an Apple pencil for when I need to write out notes. It's expensive, but if you can afford it, I think it's a worthy investment.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I would just caution against doing absolutely everything on a tablet or computer. I regularly encounter students who are so unaccustomed to marshalling their thoughts for long-format writing such as essays using pen and paper that when the examinations come, they really struggle to put together a coherent answer. You must retain the ability to write for extended periods of time on paper (without the benefit of being able to CTRL-X, CTRL-V everything, spell-check, etc) - and this can only be done by fairly regular practice.
I agree with this 100%. I hardly write anything with a pen anymore and solely revised electronically for my last exams. It sounds ridiculous but I really struggled to write for the 2 hours and made constant mistakes probably because I'm so used to being able to edit my work all the time.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I agree with this 100%. I hardly write anything with a pen anymore and solely revised electronically for my last exams. It sounds ridiculous but I really struggled to write for the 2 hours and made constant mistakes probably because I'm so used to being able to edit my work all the time.
Yes, exactly. And it's a really common thing now - the only time students need to write for three-hours straight and compose coherent answers is in an examination. This is not the time to have to get back into the saddle, so to speak.
Macrophage155
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Wow! I had never used TSR before yesterday and I am amazed at how engaged and helpful everyone is! Thanks a million for all of your replies and advice. It is all very helpful!
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow! I had never used TSR before yesterday and I am amazed at how engaged and helpful everyone is! Thanks a million for all of your replies and advice. It is all very helpful!
Welcome to the forums and you're very welcome
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's nice to hear! You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (338)
34.67%
No (637)
65.33%

Watched Threads