panic attacks over endless school closure work

Watch
guac
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
i don’t know whether i should talk to my form teacher but the amount we’re being given is ridiculous, i struggle with a lot of subjects and my teachers are obviously busy and i don’t want to bother them but i don’t know what to do anymore. is anyone else’s school still giving them work? it’s even more stressful because they’re using it to give us our GCSE grades
mz025
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
not for gcse’s but i’m in year 12 and struggling with the amount of work being set, it’s more than what we’d normally do in a week. Speak to them about it, if they’re aware of your anxiety they surely will help x
guac
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by mz025)
not for gcse’s but i’m in year 12 and struggling with the amount of work being set, it’s more than what we’d normally do in a week. Speak to them about it, if they’re aware of your anxiety they surely will help x
anxiety isn’t something i’d just open up about to my teachers though and i doubt that the workload would change. the fact that our GCSE grades depend on this work also makes me gravitate away from asking for more time to do the work lol

how have you been dealing with the workload?
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mz025)
I feel like that too. Without teachers there to push the pace of the lesson, it feels like i've been overloaded. I mean if it was that easy to homeschool then surely everyone would do it
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by guac)
i don’t know whether i should talk to my form teacher but the amount we’re being given is ridiculous, i struggle with a lot of subjects and my teachers are obviously busy and i don’t want to bother them but i don’t know what to do anymore. is anyone else’s school still giving them work? it’s even more stressful because they’re using it to give us our GCSE grades
Please speak to your teachers about this! I'm a teacher and I'd want to know. I'd want my form to contact me too.

As a teacher it is really hard to judge how long something will take someone at home- I've just said do 50/100 minutes (double lesson) and tell me where you got to so that I can judge it better next time.

I don't want people left with nothing to do, so I probably am setting too much, but this week is a bit of a learning curve for everyone and I certainly don't want to upset anyone.

I am still setting my Y11s work, following school policy, because legally you are still entitled to an education!
mz025
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by guac)
anxiety isn’t something i’d just open up about to my teachers though and i doubt that the workload would change. the fact that our GCSE grades depend on this work also makes me gravitate away from asking for more time to do the work lol

how have you been dealing with the workload?
i’ve been working through it at my own pace and taking as many breaks as i need to stop myself getting overwhelmed. It’s so difficult to open up to teachers especially but they will take you seriously as so many kids experience anxiety around gcse’s x
mz025
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by jemima0103)
I feel like that too. Without teachers there to push the pace of the lesson, it feels like i've been overloaded. I mean if it was that easy to homeschool then surely everyone would do it
exactly! i left my first college because it felt like i was homeschooling myself and now it’s just a repeat. I’m just worried about how this will effect our actual a levels because surely months of self taught content isn’t going to make for brilliant results
jemima0103
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mz025)
exactly! i left my first college because it felt like i was homeschooling myself and now it’s just a repeat. I’m just worried about how this will effect our actual a levels because surely months of self taught content isn’t going to make for brilliant results
exactly. Plus, some schools are able to help students massively online during this time but some can't or won't. I'm in an okay situation but from what I've heard some people are getting basically no guidance from their school
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by guac)
(Original post by mz025)
I know how you both feel.
I spoke to my teacher about this and he told me to pretend that I'm in school and having my normal lessons so on monday I have psychology so I would do some psychology revision or notes that my teacher told me to do on google classroom and then on tuesday I have bio, chem and psychology so I do all 3 of those and I make sure to have breaks when I would normally have break or lunch in a school day.
Please dont try to do it all at once, try to spread your work out.
And then I don't do much after 3 maybe make flashcards for a topic? Or homework?
I hope this helps
Good luck and stay strong 😁
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I relate. I'm in Year 13 and am being set a huge amount of work, a lot of which is contributing to my A-level grades, so I'm stressed about deadlines and about making it perfect so I get the best grades possible.

I'm trying to deal with it by prioritising everything by deadline. This week, I'm just focusing on trying to get the work done that's due for the next day, but at the weekend, I will try to work ahead so I have less to do in the week.
Also, when I take breaks from working, I find going and doing something (like going for a short walk, as long as you follow government advice) is a lot more refreshing than sitting inside on my phone/etc., so it helps me stay productive when I go back to studying.

Talk to your tutors if you think they will be able to help.
If not, work hard, don't be too hard on yourself, remember this isn't the only work going towards your grades, and focus on the Easter holidays, when hopefully schools won't be setting work - it isn't too far away now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (84)
62.22%
No (51)
37.78%

Watched Threads