Research masters proposal and application process?

Watch
AnOnYmOuS_101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
What is the process of applying for a Mres course? Some unis want a research proposal, but I'm not sure what area to study? I'm looking at a biomedical science Mres focusing on a cardiovascular project, however, I am still kinda learning the cardio basics as my undergrad was biochem so have little knowledge so far, but it's very interesting and I already had some knowledge from general reading.
Do I just continue to read papers and find experiments that have been inconclusive and how I may be able to go about the experiments a different way?
So far I'm not sure what area of cardio would be most interesting to study for a whole year like I find the electrical side pretty cool with all the tech but the vascular side cool with drugs and how clinically relevant and deadly it can be, so I'm not sure what else to do other than read a LOT of cardio papers, any other help would be great - Thank you so much
joannem26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by AnOnYmOuS_101)
What is the process of applying for a Mres course? Some unis want a research proposal, but I'm not sure what area to study? I'm looking at a biomedical science Mres focusing on a cardiovascular project, however, I am still kinda learning the cardio basics as my undergrad was biochem so have little knowledge so far, but it's very interesting and I already had some knowledge from general reading.
Do I just continue to read papers and find experiments that have been inconclusive and how I may be able to go about the experiments a different way?
So far I'm not sure what area of cardio would be most interesting to study for a whole year like I find the electrical side pretty cool with all the tech but the vascular side cool with drugs and how clinically relevant and deadly it can be, so I'm not sure what else to do other than read a LOT of cardio papers, any other help would be great - Thank you so much
Hey!

So I'm going to try help in whatever way I can as I'm not an Mres student, I'm an MSc student.

In terms of finding an area to study, the best is to read papers (meta-analyses when you can as these cover a wide range of studies and findings and make more general conclusions) and look at the "recommendations for future research" parts! These may help you to identify gaps in the literature - which is exactly what a masters needs to focus on. So identify where for example the research is lacking or is inconclusive and try to propose a way that you would manage to contribute to the literature through your research.

A typical research proposal includes: a title (try make this as general as possible in case you change your mind - e.g. instead of a title like "The impact of well-being on counterproductive work behaviours" it would be better to put forth "the impact of well-being on organizational outcomes" as this is more general. Remember, the title can almost always be changed just by the submission of a form. The next part would be a rationale which includes the reason why you want to do this research, in this section you should explain for example the gap present in the research and how your research will contribute to the literature (e.g. improving the understanding of a concept or testing an new model etc). Next you would need to discuss your proposed methodology (which includes participant demographics - e.g. do you need to collect both males and females of a particular age range?, sample size - depends on whether it is qualitative or quant, and the plane for data collection as well as any lab tests or questionnaires etc you would need to collect) and the data analysis (if quantitative - e.g. regression analyses etc). The methodology and research question always inform the data analysis - e.g. if youre looking to find relationships/correlations between things its regression; if youre trying to test a model it might be structural equation modelling and so on so this should be your last step really. You may also wish to include how you are going to protect the data in terms of GDPR (i.e. how long you will store the data for and where you will store it - needs to be locked and encrypted).

As for the cardio part I cant really help there as my area is psychology! I hope this helped a little! Good luck in your applications!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed