My Best Friend Tried To Take His Own Life (Twice) And I’m Really Distressed TW

Watch
Official Bedhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’m a 19-year-old guy and I feel like I am being over dramatic but yesterday I had a serious panic attack and couldn’t attend work due to this. This is because my best friend tried to take his own life recently and this is the second attempt. It upset me first time but this time more as I felt it was my fault. I was pretty distant recently due to work and things were a little awkward as the last time we had met up, he was very unreliable meaning I had to fix his mistakes. He told me before he was very lonely and the fact I didn’t take that into consideration makes me feel very ignorant.

My question (I guess) is I couldn’t go to work yesterday as I was so anxious and distraught. I kept having anxiety attacks as I do have anxiety. My boss called asking why I hadn’t turned up to my shift or if I was running late and I began crying on the phone telling her all my problems. I just feel really embarrassed and every time I think of it I’m almost ashamed of myself. I hate my boss. Why did I tell her??? I was just a mess yesterday and I don’t really know how to feel. My question is am I over exaggerating?
Last edited by Official Bedhead; 5 days ago
Aayush :)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Please say that he has been referred to get professional help.

If he's tried twice, he clearly needs it.

This situation is seriously tough. You can only do your best to be of help and be available for your friend in these tough times.
tputnam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Official Bedhead)
I’m a 19-year-old guy and I feel like I am being over dramatic but yesterday I had a serious panic attack and couldn’t attend work due to this. This is because my best friend tried to take his own life recently and this is the second attempt. It upset me first time but this time more as I felt it was my fault. I was pretty distant recently due to work and things were a little awkward as the last time we had met up, he was very unreliable meaning I had to fix his mistakes. He told me before he was very lonely and the fact I didn’t take that into consideration makes me feel very ignorant.

My question (I guess) is I couldn’t go to work yesterday as I was so anxious and distraught. I kept having anxiety attacks as I do have anxiety. My boss called asking why I hadn’t turned up to my shift or if I was running late and I began crying on the phone telling her all my problems. I just feel really embarrassed and every time I think of it I’m almost ashamed of myself. I hate my boss. Why did I tell her??? I was just a mess yesterday and I don’t really know how to feel. My question is am I over exaggerating?
You aren't exaggerating at all. Whilst it's really important that your friend gets help, it's equally important that the situation doesn't impact your mental health too. Do what you can but ensure that professional help is there first help, then you can provide additional support.

May be worth checking out what local mental health support you have available also
Official Bedhead
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Aayush :))
Please say that he has been referred to get professional help.

If he's tried twice, he clearly needs it.

This situation is seriously tough. You can only do your best to be of help and be available for your friend in these tough times.
Yeah he’s been referred to a hospital and I spoke to him this morning. He seems okay now. I can’t visit him though as we’re in lockdown.
Official Bedhead
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by tputnam)
You aren't exaggerating at all. Whilst it's really important that your friend gets help, it's equally important that the situation doesn't impact your mental health too. Do what you can but ensure that professional help is there first help, then you can provide additional support.

May be worth checking out what local mental health support you have available also
My parents reassured me that it’s not my fault and that I and my friend’s Mum are the only people he wants to visit. I was just really embarrassed as I had a meltdown on the phone to my boss who I do not like and I just felt a little weird afterwards.
tputnam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Official Bedhead)
My parents reassured me that it’s not my fault and that I and my friend’s Mum are the only people he wants to visit. I was just really embarrassed as I had a meltdown on the phone to my boss who I do not like and I just felt a little weird afterwards.
You needed a release of all that built up emotion and sometimes you can't control when that's going to happen. I hope you are doing better now too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads