GCSE Maths and Private Candidate with Edexcel - what's happening?

Watch
The_Architect
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I asked this a few days ago but there wasn't much information, so I'm trying to get an answer now.

I paid to sit as an external/private candidate at my local college to resit my GCSE Maths exams in May/June (Edexcel was the exam board).

What will now be happening with these exams, and what are the chances of them being anytime soon - is it even worth me spending the time to carry on revising as normal at this point? Would it be safe to at least take a break from revising for now and continue revision closer to when the exams are likely to take place, or is this too much of a risk?
Would appreciate some guidance on this, thank you.
The_Architect
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Anyone at all?
Suley143
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi,

I'm a private student looking to retake biology this year. I have completed all revision so far and have even done a few mock exams. The exams this year are cancelled and will not be reinstated.

Below are the messages i received from an exam administrator at the school I'm booked with:

First message 19/03/2020:

"Good morning,

I am writing to let you that following the announcement made by the Govt. yesterday, GCSE & A Level exams taking place in summer have been cancelled. We do not have further information from the Exam board as yet but will endeavour to update you as soon as we have any more information.

Kind regards"

Second message 23/03/2020:

"Good afternoon,

I am writing to you to let you know that we have been in touch with the exam boards and have been advised not to withdraw any private candidate entries as the boards are still planning to consider all entries. We will be in touch as soon as we have any more updates.

Kind regards".

My advise would be to continue revising as if you have the exams coming up in June/July. The reason being is that there isn't much clarity on how external candidate grades will be worked out. If might involve some form of online test or evidence of the work you done/mock exam scores. Plus when you are given a grade you might opt to appeal it or sit the exam in september. I personally would not take any risk yet. I will keep you updated when I hear back from my centre.
Last edited by Suley143; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (82)
62.12%
No (50)
37.88%

Watched Threads