losteenager15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
im currently in a crisis. Im not sure wether im gona do my gcse exams early next year or touch on a level content this summer
carxlinefxrbes_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hiya, I'm a year 11 student also but am thinking about starting to look at A level content {mainly cause I don't know what I'm doing}.

My advice would be to consider what grades you want (write each subject and the grade you want on a piece of paper) and consider whether from your mocks and schoolwork if you'd realistically get them. What I'm trying to say is, only revise for the GCSE exams you are considering taking as you believe you won't get the grades you know that you can achieve if you really work for them. If you know what A-levels you're doing then I'd recommend looking through the spec and possibly catching up with GCSE knowledge you may need for some of the subjects. (e.g. if you're doing a language then revise the tenses etc...).

Hope this helps
losteenager15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by carxlinefxrbes_)
Hiya, I'm a year 11 student also but am thinking about starting to look at A level content {mainly cause I don't know what I'm doing}.

My advice would be to consider what grades you want (write each subject and the grade you want on a piece of paper) and consider whether from your mocks and schoolwork if you'd realistically get them. What I'm trying to say is, only revise for the GCSE exams you are considering taking as you believe you won't get the grades you know that you can achieve if you really work for them. If you know what A-levels you're doing then I'd recommend looking through the spec and possibly catching up with GCSE knowledge you may need for some of the subjects. (e.g. if you're doing a language then revise the tenses etc...).

Hope this helps
You see, i made a plan at the start of this year to get no less than a grade 7 in all my subjects and up until February it was looking very likely. And then last weeks news struck and demotivated me a lot because my grades will be based on previous work. Furthermore, starting A level content now is quite devastating and intimidating
carxlinefxrbes_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by losteenager15)
You see, i made a plan at the start of this year to get no less than a grade 7 in all my subjects and up until February it was looking very likely. And then last weeks news struck and demotivated me a lot because my grades will be based on previous work. Furthermore, starting A level content now is quite devastating and intimidating
If you have been getting close to the grade 7's and above (e.g. grade 6's close-ish to 7's) then teachers {I'm guessing, and from what I've heard} will expect you to go up a grade from your mocks to the real exams. But, if you know that you haven't got close to the grades you desire in your mocks for specific subjects then I'd recommend revising them so you can take the exams either in 2021 or the next academic year (September onwards). I'd recommend watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk2CAU2px9c&t=611s as it is really helpful in explaining what to do if you don't get the grades you'd hoped for. As for A-level content, I wouldn't look too deeply into it yet as realistically we're technically not in what would be the official "summer holidays" when students would begin prepping. However, I do recommend what I said before regarding keeping your GCSE knowledge and solidifying it if you are wanting to study the course for A-levels {If A-levels are what you want to do}. Hopefully, your classwork and mocks will reflect your efforts to achieve grade 7's and above and the teachers will realise this if it's the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (81)
61.83%
No (50)
38.17%

Watched Threads