я люблю собак
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Heya, I hope you're all doing well and looking after yourselves, especially during this crazy time 😊

I would love to hear anyones opinion, ideas and advice on diffrent universities, as well as what to expect in terms of living and life style when staying in accommodations.

I'm in my final year of college studying childcare and I'm nearly all done for good. I was considering going to university to study courses relating to child care, or perhaps teaching but my partner at time time (who was older and had already finished uni) made a big deal out of not wanting to do a long distance relationship, and wanted me to just go straight into work after college so we could move out together. So I basically put my interest in looking for a uni aside and missed the deadline for finding and signing up for a course.

So after college I'll be taking a gap year to work and save up as well as finally pass my driving test (which was cancelled due to current world craziness, but we'll get there I'm sure!) I'm going to spend this time researching the right course and uni and I'd love any info or opinions regarding what to expect and look for. I dont have the best home/family situation so I'm very eager to move out and try living independently. Especially since I ended things with my previous partner and now have a much more supportive boyfriend who has no issue with me travelling away for uni.

Thanks for reading this far and for any support! 😊
Last edited by я люблю собак; 1 week ago
charlesjtwhite
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My foremost advice is to attend open days. Get a proper feel for the campus and learn as much about the accommodation as possible. If they do halls tours, go on them. This is something I really didn't give enough thought to; I like my uni, but the campus just isn't for me and it's somewhere you'll be regularly for 3 years, so it's more important than people say imo.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by я люблю собак)
Heya, I hope you're all doing well and looking after yourselves, especially during this crazy time 😊

I would love to hear anyones opinion, ideas and advice on diffrent universities, as well as what to expect in terms of living and life style when staying in accommodations.

I'm in my final year of college studying childcare and I'm nearly all done for good. I was considering going to university to study courses relating to child care, or perhaps teaching but my partner at time time (who was older and had already finished uni) made a big deal out of not wanting to do a long distance relationship, and wanted me to just go straight into work after college so we could move out together. So I basically put my interest in looking for a uni aside and missed the deadline for finding and signing up for a course.

So after college I'll be taking a gap year to work and save up as well as finally pass my driving test (which was cancelled due to current world craziness, but we'll get there I'm sure!) I'm going to spend this time researching the right course and uni and I'd love any info or opinions regarding what to expect and look for. I dont have the best home/family situation so I'm very eager to move out and try living independently. Especially since I ended things with my previous partner and now have a much more supportive boyfriend who has no issue with me travelling away for uni.

Thanks for reading this far and for any support! 😊
Hi @ я люблю собак

First of all as Charles said, I would definitely try to attend open days, these are a great way to speak to current students and staff on the course, the students in particular will be able to give you an honest opinion of the course, the uni and student life in the city. Open days are also a great way to see the campus as well as the accommodation and city, these are both important factors as you will want to live somewhere you like.

Furthermore, uni’s will offer different modules for courses, so this is something to look out for as you will want to pick the course most suited to what you enjoy. I would also recommend to look at wider opportunities the courses offer at each uni as some for example when I made my university decision getting practical work experience was a big factor for me so I chose the uni which would offer me the opportunity to go on placement. You could also want to look at what the university offers as a whole such as wider support, careers services and any extra-curricular activities.

You may want to make a list of things you want to gain from going to university, like a checklist and see which uni meets the list the most. I
hope this helps a little and good luck on your driving 😊

Zaira
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (331)
34.62%
No (625)
65.38%

Watched Threads