The Student Room Group

Positive news! 50% of the UK may have already had coronavirus

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-may-infected-half-uk-21748044

This may sound worrying, but if you think about it, this is a good thing. If 50% really have had it (most of us won't have noticed), that means there can't be that many more deaths (who knows though), but more importantly it means lockdown and any other social distancign measures can be lifted sooner. With 3.5 million testing kits arriving soon, we can determine who has had it for sure and then send people back to work. Not trying to instigate false optimism, and I hope I'm not being premature here, but maybe we won't be as bad as italy, in fact i'm pretty certain of it. Given theri demographics compared to ours, and the fact other countries like germany seem to be coping.

Many have suggested that northern italy could have been particuarly badly affected due to high levels of industrial pollution. Simialrily, Wuhan and other Chinese cities have ridiculously high levels. In Italy, not only is there a very large, old population, they often live under one roof. Also studies to show that different ethnic groups may be worse affected. This could also explain why Iran is particuarly badly hit; in the Muslim community multi-generational families living under one roof are the norm rather than unusual.

Scroll to see replies

Trying to stay positive but I wouldn’t get your hopes up on this, doesn’t seem that legit 🤷🏻*♀️
We’ll never know for sure I guess.
Some members of my family were very very ill at the end of jan/feb and diagnosed with flu. They’re still coughing now.
If that’s the case then they survived and hopefully are immune
Original post by Sammylou40
We’ll never know for sure I guess.
Some members of my family were very very ill at the end of jan/feb and diagnosed with flu. They’re still coughing now.
If that’s the case then they survived and hopefully are immune

Yeah my dad a while back felt pretty awful with symptoms similar to coronavirus but they passed after a day?? I've had a cold for months but not a dry cough or anything.
I'm not sure I believe that. But I did have a cold/what they're calling mild symptoms, last week. Then my girlfriend did. But this is why we need extensive testing. We won't know how many people have the virus until test more than people who are hospitalised.
Original post by SophieeTea
Trying to stay positive but I wouldn’t get your hopes up on this, doesn’t seem that legit 🤷🏻*♀️

Yeah, who knows though, this has been here for much, much longer than the first reported case. Likewise, it was in China from around November. I remember reading about when a "new virus" was found in china, that's what the BBC were reporting in December. I knew it was going to be big, despite them (health officials) saying "there was no fear" of it becomign more widespread
I was really sceptical of this idea for a while despite having major symptoms beginning of February- so if that is the case, I definitely experienced the virus.

For reference I commute on public transport and work in a crowded office. For the first week I had a severe coughing and breathing problems, this was made worse whenever I went outside in the cold air. Every time I stepped outside after work I could not help myself coughing and every breath had an very irritating feeling on my lungs. I distinctly remember it being a very dry cough and pointing that out to people at the time, to the point where my back and ribs hurt to touch just because of how much I had coughed.

Then there was also the fatigue. I was getting on/off dizziness/vision issues, just generally feeling off balanced and kind of distorted. Can't really explain it but I was experiencing that every day for at least 2 weeks.
Original post by abcthe123
I was really sceptical of this idea for a while despite having major symptoms beginning of February- so if that is the case, I definitely experienced the virus.

For reference I commute on public transport and work in a crowded office. For the first week I had a severe coughing and breathing problems, this was made worse whenever I went outside in the cold air. Every time I stepped outside after work I could not help myself coughing and every breath had an very irritating feeling on my lungs. I distinctly remember it being a very dry cough and pointing that out to people at the time, to the point where my back and ribs hurt to touch just because of how much I had coughed.

Then there was also the fatigue. I was getting on/off dizziness/vision issues, just generally feeling off balanced and kind of distorted. Can't really explain it but I was experiencing that every day for at least 2 weeks.

It might have been COVID-19 but it also might not have been. Like I said in reply, this is why extensive testing is needed. Iceland found that 50% of cases don't show any symptoms.

Original post by MrMusician95
It might have been COVID-19 but it also might not have been. Like I said in reply, this is why extensive testing is needed. Iceland found that 50% of cases don't show any symptoms.

3.5m test kits coming to UK, and Oxford uni is also joing up with Cambridge and Kent to conduct testing in the next few days, preliminary results will be avaliable by the end of the week. If this does turn out to be the case, the Uk government was right all along in the first place with "herd immunity", and millions of pounds worth of economic damage may have been done unnecessarily...

That said, social distancing will alleviate pressure on the NHS, but a full lockdown may prove to be unsubstansiated. We'll know more by the end of the week for the test and in 3 weeks when the government re-asses the situation
Reply 9
Problem you got is it is flu season in Jan-March
And Corvid-19 has flu like symptoms.

So, it is just speculation.
Also you have herd mentiality. People hear symptoms and convince themselves they have got it.
Original post by MrMusician95

Not saying it necessarily was. That being said IF it was widespread at that time, I'm 99% sure it was. I suffer from Asthma too as well as this.

All I know is that I do not believe an older person or someone with limited lung capacity would be able to cope with that kind of cough, seriously, it was ****ing dreadful.
Reply 11
Would be nice if true, but... (from the paper draft):

"Our overall approach rests on the assumption that only a very small proportion of the population is at risk of hospitalisable illness."

An assumption that seemingly everything else written on the subject so far disagrees with.
Original post by adam271
Problem you got is it is flu season in Jan-March
And Corvid-19 has flu like symptoms.

So, it is just speculation.
Also you have herd mentiality. People hear symptoms and convince themselves they have got it.

True, as said, the test kits will begin to shed some light. Better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by Neilos
Would be nice if true, but... (from the paper draft):

"Our overall approach rests on the assumption that only a very small proportion of the population is at risk of hospitalisable illness."

An assumption that seemingly everything else written on the subject so far disagrees with.

Pretty sure PHE said in the wider scheme of things, only a small amount of people will require hospitalisation.
Not saying it necessarily was. That being said IF it was widespread at that time, I'm 99% sure it was. I suffer from Asthma too as well as this.

All I know is that I do not believe an older person or someone with limited lung capacity would be able to cope with that kind of cough, seriously, it was ****ing dreadful.

I'm sorry you went through that. But not everyone who's older or has limited lung capacity needs the hospital. I'm glad testing should increase soon. We need more people who aren't hospitalised getting tested. Especially asymptomatic people.
Original post by Ferrograd
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-may-infected-half-uk-21748044

This may sound worrying, but if you think about it, this is a good thing. If 50% really have had it (most of us won't have noticed), that means there can't be that many more deaths (who knows though), but more importantly it means lockdown and any other social distancign measures can be lifted sooner. With 3.5 million testing kits arriving soon, we can determine who has had it for sure and then send people back to work. Not trying to instigate false optimism, and I hope I'm not being premature here, but maybe we won't be as bad as italy, in fact i'm pretty certain of it. Given theri demographics compared to ours, and the fact other countries like germany seem to be coping.

Many have suggested that northern italy could have been particuarly badly affected due to high levels of industrial pollution. Simialrily, Wuhan and other Chinese cities have ridiculously high levels. In Italy, not only is there a very large, old population, they often live under one roof. Also studies to show that different ethnic groups may be worse affected. This could also explain why Iran is particuarly badly hit; in the Muslim community multi-generational families living under one roof are the norm rather than unusual.

The authors have failed to carry out a “reality check”; comparing their hypothesis against the real world.

We have been testing large numbers of people with flu-like and respiratory illnesses. The vast majority of those tests have come back negative.

Unless the flu or other respiratory illnesses provide an immunity to Covid-19 then the Covid-19 infection rate amongst people with other illnesses should mirror that for the population as a whole.
Reply 16
You have a weird definition of 'positive'.
Original post by Ferrograd
Pretty sure PHE said in the wider scheme of things, only a small amount of people will require hospitalisation.

A small percentage, not a small amount.
Reply 19
Judging by the number of men I’ve seen not washing their hands in public lavatories over the years I wouldn’t be too surprised.🐿

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending