somedude95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there, I am a final year medic and I am thinking about CT training. Given how competitive it is to apply for CT medical training, I was told that leading, managing and presenting an audit will give you more marks for CT application.
I was just wondering what it is like?
How long does it take to do an audit?
And is this something you have to take the lead to? ie no one will approach you for the job?
Thanks!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by somedude95)
Hi there, I am a final year medic and I am thinking about CT training. Given how competitive it is to apply for CT medical training, I was told that leading, managing and presenting an audit will give you more marks for CT application.

Thanks!
Are you a UK medical student? You have to do some sort of quality improvement project in order to pass your yearly ARCP in FY1 and FY2 - for many people this is an audit.

I assume by CT you mean core training? Internal medicine training isn't particularly competitive but it's always useful to have evidence of QI on your CV. There are different ways of getting points for audits when it comes to interviews - this is often specialty specific but closing the loop i.e. auditing then re-auditing to see if measurable change was made as a result of your original audit generally gets maximum points.

I was just wondering what it is like?
Honestly? I find audits pretty boring. Hours spent sitting in front of spreadsheets is not my idea of interesting medical work. Some people really get into them and manage to make a difference though. Horses for courses.

How long does it take to do an audit?
As long as you like. A quick compliance audit (e.g. VTE prophylaxis on a ward) can be done in a matter of hours. Then there are huge national audits which go on for years e.g. NELA or StarSurg. Closing the loop takes longer because you need to do the original audit, recommend changes, allow time for those changes to take effect, then re-audit.

And is this something you have to take the lead to? ie no one will approach you for the job?
There's no shortage of audits. The Royal Colleges will have their regular audits which you can look to for ideas. Each department has a QI or clinical governance lead consultant who can get you involved in an audit or introduce you to someone else who may be able to help you. It helps to have some ideas of your own because then at least you can do something you're interested in.
Last edited by Democracy; 1 week ago
somedude95
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Are you a UK medical student? You have to do some sort of quality improvement project in order to pass your yearly ARCP in FY1 and FY2 - for many people this is an audit.

I assume by CT you mean core training? Internal medicine training isn't particularly competitive but it's always useful to have evidence of QI on your CV. There are different ways of getting points for audits when it comes to interviews - this is often specialty specific but closing the loop i.e. auditing then re-auditing to see if measurable change was made as a result of your original audit generally gets maximum points.

Honestly? I find audits pretty boring. Hours spent sitting in front of spreadsheets is not my idea of interesting medical work. Some people really get into them and manage to make a difference though. Horses for courses.

As long as you like. A quick compliance audit (e.g. VTE prophylaxis on a ward) can be done in a matter of hours. Then there are huge national audits which go on for years e.g. NELA or StarSurg. Closing the loop takes longer because you need to do the original audit, recommend changes, allow time for those changes to take effect, then re-audit.

There's no shortage of audits. The Royal Colleges will have their regular audits which you can look to for ideas. Each department has a QI or clinical governance lead consultant who can get you involved in an audit or introduce you to someone else who may be able to help you. It helps to have some ideas of your own because then at least you can do something you're interested in.
yeah cheers for the reply and the one from the other post.
I am an non-EU student who is studying at a UK medical school.
LIke i was saying in the other post, the competition stills looks fierce for internal medicine and given my situation, i cannot allow failure on the first time round so i would like to maximise my opportunity here.
my interest is dermatology eventually but that would include 2 year of CT medical training first, so maybe I could do an audit that is in dermatology?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by somedude95)
yeah cheers for the reply and the one from the other post.
I am an non-EU student who is studying at a UK medical school.
LIke i was saying in the other post, the competition stills looks fierce for internal medicine and given my situation, i cannot allow failure on the first time round so i would like to maximise my opportunity here.
my interest is dermatology eventually but that would include 2 year of CT medical training first, so maybe I could do an audit that is in dermatology?
IMT really isn't competitive. Dermatology is but that's ST3.

Yeah relevant audits and QI would certainly be useful for a dermatology application. You can get involved in audits, publications, posters etc during med school - no need to wait until you're qualified or doing IMT. Ask a friendly consultant/GP
somedude95
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Democracy)
IMT really isn't competitive. Dermatology is but that's ST3.

Yeah relevant audits and QI would certainly be useful for a dermatology application. You can get involved in audits, publications, posters etc during med school - no need to wait until you're qualified or doing IMT. Ask a friendly consultant/GP
cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (252)
60.43%
No (86)
20.62%
Not sure (79)
18.94%

Watched Threads