faraalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi,

I am looking to hopefully start Economics at the Uni of Notts is September (provided I get in with the new system for attaining grades), I was wondering if anyone has a list of the necessary Econ textbooks for first year, preferably specific to Uni of Notts but I assume most the resources and textbooks are similar for Econ courses at different unis.
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Economics by Sloman et al. or Economics by Mankiw & Taylor are good starting points for macro/micro at Nottingham.

Email module convenors to check what they intend to use next academic year as it changes (found here: https://mynottingham.nottingham.ac.u...RSE_EXTRCT.GBL). Probably easier than wasting money on books you won't be using.
faraalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
That is super useful thank you, in addition, I have a while now until I start Uni. How would you say I could best use my time in order to be ready for Economics/be able to be in a good position for when I start applying for my spring week ? As I did not do maths A-Level I am trying to expose myself to key topics that would be useful e.g. Differentiation and Statistics.
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by faraalam)
That is super useful thank you, in addition, I have a while now until I start Uni. How would you say I could best use my time in order to be ready for Economics/be able to be in a good position for when I start applying for my spring week ? As I did not do maths A-Level I am trying to expose myself to key topics that would be useful e.g. Differentiation and Statistics.
Good familiarity with the core topics in A level econ will help your intuition when you start. The maths is easier when you understand the econ intuition.

Getting familiar with differentiation, statistics and probability with YouTube videos would be good too, and make sure you're comfortable with some basic things like algebra and rearranging equations.

As optional modules, I'd recommend Calculus and its Applications and Applied Algebra available in the Maths Dept (if you don't do them in first year, consider them in your second). They really helped me feel more comfortable with the maths used in economics and I didn't do A level Maths either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (106)
60.57%
No (69)
39.43%

Watched Threads