What on earth is a DBS certificate? (SOMEONE HELP ME PLZ)

Watch
Brutal Bee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
^

What is a DBS certificate? Does everyone apply for the certificate? At what age? Do you NEED it? Is it a good idea to apply for one?

Thanks
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It’s essentially a police check to see if you have anything on your record. It’s needed for certain jobs, especially those which involve working with children and vulnerable people. You can’t apply for non-basic checks as an individual, you can only get one through an organisation. So for example, medical students would get it through their uni, teachers through their school, volunteers through their charity etc
Last edited by SkyRunner61; 3 days ago
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
It’s essentially a police check to see if you have anything on your record. It’s needed for certain jobs, especially those which involve working with children and vulnerable people. You can’t apply for one as an individual, you can only get one through an organisation. So for example, medical students would get it through their uni, teachers through their school, volunteers through their charity etc
omg that helped me so much, so so so so grateful. Thank you!! x
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It’s essentially a police check to see if you have anything on your record. It’s needed for certain jobs, especially those which involve working with children and vulnerable people. You can’t apply for one as an individual, you can only get one through an organisation. So for example, medical students would get it through their uni, teachers through their school, volunteers through their charity etc
This isn't correct. You can apply for a basic DBS check yourself. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record

If you need an standard or enhanced DBS certificate, an employer/volunteer organisation would usually apply on your behalf - they might either cover the cost themselves, or pass it on to you. Also, you can apply for the DBS update service to keep the certificate current.
(Original post by Brutal Bee)
omg that helped me so much, so so so so grateful. Thank you!! x
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Oh sorry - thanks for correcting me!
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
This isn't correct. You can apply for a basic DBS check yourself. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record

If you need an standard or enhanced DBS certificate, an employer/volunteer organisation would usually apply on your behalf - they might either cover the cost themselves, or pass it on to you. Also, you can apply for the DBS update service to keep the certificate current.
Would you recommend I apply for one? I won't be entering full-time work anytime soon, but this came up in an application I was making earlier. I don't need it as I provided an alternative source of information. I just wonder, do you think there is any value in applying for one? Is it something that is useful in life in general? Did you apply for one? What age?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Would you recommend I apply for one? I won't be entering full-time work anytime soon, but this came up in an application I was making earlier. I don't need it as I provided an alternative source of information. I just wonder, do you think there is any value in applying for one? Is it something that is useful in life in general? Did you apply for one? What age?
No, there is no benefit to having one 'just for the sake of it'. If you need one for a specific job or volunteering opportunity, then the organisation will arrange to get one for you as part of the hiring process. You don't need to proactively have one and it won't improve your chances of getting a position or anything.

Yes, I have an enhanced DBS because I work with children and vulnerable adults and I"m signed up to the Update service. I also had one as part of being the VT here on TSR.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
It is only good for the day issued. If you are going to apply for a lot of jobs where they are needed, then its worth applyiong for one in advance and paying the extra £13 to get online status , so employers can check as needed.
Brutal Bee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, there is no benefit to having one 'just for the sake of it'. If you need one for a specific job or volunteering opportunity, then the organisation will arrange to get one for you as part of the hiring process. You don't need to proactively have one and it won't improve your chances of getting a position or anything.

Yes, I have an enhanced DBS because I work with children and vulnerable adults and I"m signed up to the Update service. I also had one as part of being the VT here on TSR.
Oh, that makes total sense now. I thought it was one of those certificates that every working person was supposed to apply for. haha I am so silly.

Thank you so much!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Oh, that makes total sense now. I thought it was one of those certificates that every working person was supposed to apply for. haha I am so silly.

Thank you so much!
No, you're not silly at all and it's a perfectly reasonable question- how would you necessarily know.

You're welcome
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Thank you so much!
Nah mostly for when you work with Children/young people.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Nah mostly for when you work with Children/young people.
You'll see them for a good few admin roles as well now, I think on the logic that you might have access to the info of said vulnerable people.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Oh sorry - thanks for correcting me!
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads