passing the MRCP in foundation training have an advantage in applying for CT pos

Watch
somedude95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Question too long, cannot type the whole question.
The question is 'does passing the MRCP in foundation training give you an advantage in applying for specialty posts?'
I am just wondering when you are considered for specialty posts, will they consider the fact that you have already passed your MRCP and consider you differently from those who have not yet passed their MRCP?
Jckc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by somedude95)
Question too long, cannot type the whole question.
The question is 'does passing the MRCP in foundation training give you an advantage in applying for specialty posts?'
I am just wondering when you are considered for specialty posts, will they consider the fact that you have already passed your MRCP and consider you differently from those who have not yet passed their MRCP?
ill recommend reading the imtrecruitment website to get a gist of what they use for individual scoring.

in regards to MRCP,
"MRCP(UK) examinations - this is not an essential requirement for progression to IMT, although the Part 1 examination is desirable, the information is used for management information on the MRCP(UK) progress of the whole IMT applicant population."
Hence, passing part 1 does not give you extra points on the application form itself, but gives you "additional points" for your station 1 of the interview, which is document checking and suitability and commitment to training.

They DO NOT expect candidates to pass FULL mrcp by the time of IMT1. Thats for ST3/4 requirement but not for IMT.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
To add to the above, it would be extremely unusual to pass all parts of the MRCP during the Foundation Programme. This would mean passing Parts 1, 2 and PACES back to back in FY2 (since you cannot sit the exams in FY1). If you're applying for specialty training at the start of FY2 then you would not be able to do this by the time interviews happen anyway. My advice would be not to rush things.

"Only a few candidates attempt PACES between 12 and 24 months after graduation, and they are very unlikely to pass"

More info here:

https://www.mrcpuk.org/mrcpuk-examin...ke-your-mrcpuk
Last edited by Democracy; 8 months ago
somedude95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jckc123)
ill recommend reading the imtrecruitment website to get a gist of what they use for individual scoring.

in regards to MRCP,
"MRCP(UK) examinations - this is not an essential requirement for progression to IMT, although the Part 1 examination is desirable, the information is used for management information on the MRCP(UK) progress of the whole IMT applicant population."
Hence, passing part 1 does not give you extra points on the application form itself, but gives you "additional points" for your station 1 of the interview, which is document checking and suitability and commitment to training.

They DO NOT expect candidates to pass FULL mrcp by the time of IMT1. Thats for ST3/4 requirement but not for IMT.
(Original post by Democracy)
To add to the above, it would be extremely unusual to pass all parts of the MRCP during the Foundation Programme. This would mean passing Parts 1, 2 and PACES back to back in FY2 (since you cannot sit the exams in FY1). If you're applying for specialty training at the start of FY2 then you would not be able to do this by the time interviews happen anyway. My advice would be not to rush things.

"Only a few candidates attempt PACES between 12 and 24 months after graduation, and they are very unlikely to pass"

More info here:

i really appreciate the replies.
I have been looking at the competition ratio for applications to different specialities in 2019 and almost all of them are oversubscribed and this seems quite scary.
link here: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...s%202019_1.pdf
the situation for me is tricky, i am an international student studying in the uk, by the time I have finished my FY2, i would have been in the uk for 9 years, i need 1 more year to fulfill the 10 years rule on obtaining the indefinite leave to remain, so getting a CT1 post is like a 'must get it' situation. I want to maximise my chances at this,
so if i pass MRCP part 1 and part 2 written only during FY2, do an audit and ace the interview, I should be ok?
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i really appreciate the replies.
I have been looking at the competition ratio for applications to different specialities in 2019 and almost all of them are oversubscribed and this seems quite scary.
link here: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...s%202019_1.pdf
the situation for me is tricky, i am an international student studying in the uk, by the time I have finished my FY2, i would have been in the uk for 9 years, i need 1 more year to fulfill the 10 years rule on obtaining the indefinite leave to remain, so getting a CT1 post is like a 'must get it' situation. I want to maximise my chances at this,
so if i pass MRCP part 1 and part 2 written only during FY2, do an audit and ace the interview, I should be ok?
I was an international student, now an F2 with a first choice post in Imt.
In my opinion, it's not hard to get a post for imt. Yes, there are more applicants to post but you need to flunk the interview (which is where most of the points are instead of the application points) to not get a job.
Even this year, there are still round 2 imt jobs since there are jobs left unfilled (due to people not happy with their posts/applied for other posts as well)

Adding points: logistically you won't be able to pass both parts of the written before the interview. Since earliest you can sit part one is September and the next intake for part two is in march. With interviews being in January and February, it is impossible to pass both prior interview unless you took a year out.
(I was supposed to sit the part 2 exam in march but It got cancelled, oh wells)

In summary, don't panic. Focus on publications, quality improvement, practice, practice and practice interview and you'll be fine.
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can apply in round one now so being an international grad won’t hinder you. Getting into IMT is super easy. I had an average application and flopped the interview and still got my first choice job.
somedude95
Rep:
?
I was an international student, now an F2 with a first choice post in Imt.
In my opinion, it's not hard to get a post for imt. Yes, there are more applicants to post but you need to flunk the interview (which is where most of the points are instead of the application points) to not get a job.
Even this year, there are still round 2 imt jobs since there are jobs left unfilled (due to people not happy with their posts/applied for other posts as well)

Adding points: logistically you won't be able to pass both parts of the written before the interview. Since earliest you can sit part one is September and the next intake for part two is in march. With interviews being in January and February, it is impossible to pass both prior interview unless you took a year out.
(I was supposed to sit the part 2 exam in march but It got cancelled, oh wells)

In summary, don't panic. Focus on publications, quality improvement, practice, practice and practice interview and you'll be fine.
Sentence in bold, so... when you are applying for CT1 you can actually apply for multiple posts? You don't just limit yourself to 1? I am not familiar with the process so i am asking. could you show the website for making the applications? thanks
also they probs cancelled the part 2 due to the outbreak. also i hope you passed your part 1 as well!
somedude95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hippokrates)
You can apply in round one now so being an international grad won’t hinder you. Getting into IMT is super easy. I had an average application and flopped the interview and still got my first choice job.
what do you mean by round one?
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sentence in bold, so... when you are applying for CT1 you can actually apply for multiple posts? You don't just limit yourself to 1? I am not familiar with the process so i am asking. could you show the website for making the applications? thanks
also they probs cancelled the part 2 due to the outbreak. also i hope you passed your part 1 as well!
As in, you can not only apply for Imt. You can apply for how many speciality training post if you like as long as you're eligible. However, people tend to limit themselves to 1 or 2 since most people already know what they want to apply to and application process is tedious.

You'll apply it through oriel when the application dates start. Just check the timeline on each speciality training website to know when to apply. Dates usually open around November for ST1/CT1. (Don't worry about this, you'll find this out as you go along)

Yeah, they did cancelled it due to the covid crisis which is understandable. To take part 2 /PACES, you need to pass part 1 first! So no jumping ahead before passing part 1
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
what do you mean by round one?
I suggest you just read the guidance on the IMT website. Basically all the jobs in the country are available in round one. The higher your application score the higher up your job choices you’ll get. Round two is the same except it’s the left over jobs from round one. It used to be that non EU grads had to wait till round two but now it’s fair game for everyone.
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago

More info here:

Man, a real fy2 doctor unable to pass? How can anyone pass?
somedude95
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
As in, you can not only apply for Imt. You can apply for how many speciality training post if you like as long as you're eligible. However, people tend to limit themselves to 1 or 2 since most people already know what they want to apply to and application process is tedious.

You'll apply it through oriel when the application dates start. Just check the timeline on each speciality training website to know when to apply. Dates usually open around November for ST1/CT1. (Don't worry about this, you'll find this out as you go along)

Yeah, they did cancelled it due to the covid crisis which is understandable. To take part 2 /PACES, you need to pass part 1 first! So no jumping ahead before passing part 1
How many FY2 who wants to do internal medicine do indeed take their MRCP part 1 in their FY2s?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Man, a real fy2 doctor unable to pass? How can anyone pass?
What do you mean? The bar for passing membership and fellowship exams is deliberately set very high. These exams generally have low pass rates (sometimes 30% or less i.e. 70% will fail) and very good doctors often require several attempts to pass. FY2 is still pretty new and junior!

You can find out more here:

https://www.mrcpuk.org/mrcpuk-examin...xam-pass-rates
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How many FY2 who wants to do internal medicine do indeed take their MRCP part 1 in their FY2s?
no idea. they dont really publish the statistics fully. they only separated into uk and non uk trainees.
some FY2s also take a F3 year before applying and take part 1 in their year out.
so i feel quite a few number of people would have taken part 1 by then. this is just my view. you shouldnt worry about others and focus about doing the best you can.
somedude95
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What do you mean? The bar for passing membership and fellowship exams is deliberately set very high. These exams generally have low pass rates (sometimes 30% or less i.e. 70% will fail) and very good doctors often require several attempts to pass. FY2 is still pretty new and junior!

You can find out more here:

https://www.mrcpuk.org/mrcpuk-examin...xam-pass-rates
so that means a lot of people will still likely to fail on their first attempt in FY2, right?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
so that means a lot of people will still likely to fail on their first attempt in FY2, right?
Yes, the exams have low pass rates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads