The Student Room Group

COVID-19: lost my job, can't afford accommodation contract

I'm worried about my financial situation due to the COVID-19 outbreak. I live in university accommodation. My university's accommodation office has sent an email informing all residents that our contract still stands despite the outbreak.

I went home on 15th March to visit my family and friends. Since then, all of the university facilities shut (including the library) and all lectures/assessments will be taking place remotely (including exams). I've also lost my job and haven't found another since. Now that we're on lockdown, I can't access my accommodation even if I wanted to.

I've read through my contract and there's no mention of what my financial obligations are under exceptional circumstances. It's not clear whether my landlord is UPP or my university. It seems that both are.

I've tried contacting accommodation and student finance for advice. Not sure what else to do?

Scroll to see replies

The landlord name should either be on the front or is within first couple of pages, you should really know as it is whoever you pay rent to.

You need to contact them and explain your situation. They will most likely make arrangements with you to set up a payment plan when you are able or may right it off entirely subject to you vacating. It is hard to say really in these unprecedented times.

Legally you are still obligated to pay the rest of your contract as I doubt there is any kind of notice to exit in a student contract typically these are only if you find someone to take over your lease which obviously isn't going to happen any time soon.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by libbylobs
I'm worried about my financial situation due to the COVID-19 outbreak. I live in university accommodation. My university's accommodation office has sent an email informing all residents that our contract still stands despite the outbreak.

I went home on 15th March to visit my family and friends. Since then, all of the university facilities shut (including the library) and all lectures/assessments will be taking place remotely (including exams). I've also lost my job and haven't found another since. Now that we're on lockdown, I can't access my accommodation even if I wanted to.

I've read through my contract and there's no mention of what my financial obligations are under exceptional circumstances. It's not clear whether my landlord is UPP or my university. It seems that both are.

I've tried contacting accommodation and student finance for advice. Not sure what else to do?

Hi,
Many accommodations are giving the option of cancelling the 3rd term payment if you have moved back home. I had the same problem yesterday. I phoned and they said that it had to be paid, however today they sent an update that I could cancel it. I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, if you don’t have a job and you cannot pay it, it’s not your fault and they have to understand it. No one saw this coming when we signed contracts. You aren’t the only one in this situation, many people don’t have an income and they just will have to understand that you cannot afford it. I know you might be stressed, I was like this yesterday! But I think that as so many accommodations are doing and everyone complaining, they will end up doing it as well because of the pressure.
Is it unite accommodation? Continue calling your accommodation.
Original post by Bgomezarianna
Hi,
Many accommodations are giving the option of cancelling the 3rd term payment if you have moved back home. I had the same problem yesterday. I phoned and they said that it had to be paid, however today they sent an update that I could cancel it. I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, if you don’t have a job and you cannot pay it, it’s not your fault and they have to understand it. No one saw this coming when we signed contracts. You aren’t the only one in this situation, many people don’t have an income and they just will have to understand that you cannot afford it. I know you might be stressed, I was like this yesterday! But I think that as so many accommodations are doing and everyone complaining, they will end up doing it as well because of the pressure.
Is it unite accommodation? Continue calling your accommodation.

Also, if it’s uni accommodation (owned by the university) they will cancel it 100%. If you need anything let me know :smile:
Original post by libbylobs

I agree with @DiddyDec. As you have signed the tenancy/license, you're contracted to pay the rent for the minimum term or until they release you from the contract. I would definitely ascertain who your LL is, and then at least you know who you should be contacting. LLs have been asked to be flexible with people at this time, and they would make some arrangement for you to pay any arrears and the rest of the rent which you are obliged to pay. But you will have to pay it.

Thanks for the tag :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks for the tag :smile:

No problem, I’d say I’m pretty good at knowing life stuff for my age but not this.
Original post by Reality Check
I agree with @DiddyDec. As you have signed the tenancy/license, you're contracted to pay the rent for the minimum term or until they release you from the contract. I would definitely ascertain who your LL is, and then at least you know who you should be contacting. LLs have been asked to be flexible with people at this time, and they would make some arrangement for you to pay any arrears and the rest of the rent which you are obliged to pay. But you will have to pay it.

As this gentleman says, if it’s a house you are renting I’m not sure, but many student halls, as I’ve explained above, have cancelled 3rd term payments if you decide to go back home. My accommodation, owned by Unite, other halls in Manchester, London, Plymouth and others have done the same. Hopefully yours too!🙂 You’ll be fine, don’t stress. Try contacting them again.
Reply 8
I am also finding myself in a sticky situation. I have returned home and officially moved out of my accommodation (StudyInn) on Monday. I have already paid the full amount of my rent till July (as it is requested by their policy) and asked them about the cancellation policy in light of the Coronavirus situation. They replied by saying that they are providing a service and is my 'fault' if I am deciding to not reside their anymore.I have checked cancellation policy from other accommodations and they seem to be very understanding and updating their policies. What should I do now?
Original post by zazazaz
I am also finding myself in a sticky situation. I have returned home and officially moved out of my accommodation (StudyInn) on Monday. I have already paid the full amount of my rent till July (as it is requested by their policy) and asked them about the cancellation policy in light of the Coronavirus situation. They replied by saying that they are providing a service and is my 'fault' if I am deciding to not reside their anymore.I have checked cancellation policy from other accommodations and they seem to be very understanding and updating their policies. What should I do now?

Not a lot you can do, legally they can keep your money as you signed a contract with them.
I would post on their wall on fb. And say that many other accommodation have done it. See what they reply and also I would get others to comment from the building. Pressure. If they’ve done in other accommodations, why not yours? I would try and I have heard that those who paid until July got refunded the £.
My last installment is on April 20th. I am/was at The Stay Kentish Town. They are not working to help students at all. I left March 14th, due to being in critical group, and because I was let go of two part-time jobs. I called and wrote a nice email and no way. How can they expect students to take out government loans to pay big money-making businesses that are profiting from students? I will not be paying. Forget it!!! I am sure something will be done about this in the end. Just this sentence alone has infuriated me: "Having said that, you will be chased to pay the full rent." Chase me you money grabbing ..........
Original post by Annabel2017
My last installment is on April 20th. I am/was at The Stay Kentish Town. They are not working to help students at all. I left March 14th, due to being in critical group, and because I was let go of two part-time jobs. I called and wrote a nice email and no way. How can they expect students to take out government loans to pay big money-making businesses that are profiting from students? I will not be paying. Forget it!!! I am sure something will be done about this in the end. Just this sentence alone has infuriated me: "Having said that, you will be chased to pay the full rent." Chase me you money grabbing ..........

Take it to trading standards. They will help you.

Are you the OP?

Edit: your not. Feel free to talk though
(edited 4 years ago)

From what you’ve posted it definitely seems as though they are trying to capitalise on the current situation. Go to trading standards directly and they can help. If you go to trading standards you’ll have the opportunity to help others stuck in your position as well.
(edited 4 years ago)

You need to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments that are affordable. As I have said previously on this thread you are still legally obligated to pay as they are still operating the service. If you decide to take this current course of action they can legally take you to court which could result in a CCJ (County Court Judgement) which affects your financial records very poorly for years to come and can stop you getting certain jobs. They could also send bailiffs to recover the monies.

If the Government does change the legal obligations to pay for your rent it is far better to be in a position where you are not at risk as there is no guarantee that they will.

Original post by Greywolftwo
From what you’ve posted it definitely seems as though they are trying to capitalise on the current situation. Go to trading standards directly and they can help. If you go to trading standards you’ll have the opportunity to help others stuck in your position as well.

Trading Standards cannot help because The Stay Club have not acted illegally or outside of the contract. They are still running the service and the property is still able to be occupied. The resident has decided not to use their demised area however they are still able, the contract therefore remains active and the rent must be paid in some form.
Original post by DiddyDec
You need to set up a payment plan to pay in instalments that are affordable. As I have said previously on this thread you are still legally obligated to pay as they are still operating the service. If you decide to take this current course of action they can legally take you to court which could result in a CCJ (County Court Judgement) which affects your financial records very poorly for years to come and can stop you getting certain jobs. They could also send bailiffs to recover the monies.

If the Government does change the legal obligations to pay for your rent it is far better to be in a position where you are not at risk as there is no guarantee that they will.

Trading Standards cannot help because The Stay Club have not acted illegally or outside of the contract. They are still running the service and the property is still able to be occupied. The resident has decided not to use their demised area however they are still able, the contract therefore remains active and the rent must be paid in some form.

Thank you for your input. I will not borrow from government and pay huge interest rates in order to fill the pockets of greedy big businesses that make money off of 18, 19 and 20 year olds. If I was renting from private person I would never take away their income but this, this is pure war profiteering on those in need.

Also as my installment is not due until April 20th I have a feeling things might change drastically by then
Thank you for your input. I will not borrow from government and pay huge interest rates in order to fill the pockets of greedy big businesses that make money off of 18, 19 and 20 year olds. If I was renting from private person I would never take away their income but this, this is pure war profiteering on those in need.

Forget who you are paying it to, what matters now is your own financial position and risk. A CCJ against you can be devastating especially if you want to work in any kind of capacity with money.

Also as my installment is not due until April 20th I have a feeling things might change drastically by then

You can wait to set your instalments but don't go in betting that things will change, start making plans now as to how you will afford to pay the rent you owe.

Good point
There will be sooooo many students affected by all of this. Let’s wait and see

Quick Reply

Latest