The Student Room Group

COVID-19: lost my job, can't afford accommodation contract

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annabel2017
There will be sooooo many students affected by all of this. Let’s wait and see

If you need any further advice on renting matters you know where to find me :h:
It is clear as day that so many are hoping government will not order student accommodations to shut down. They don’t care about students wellbeing, mental and physical health. Big businesses just want money.
It is clear as day that so many are hoping government will not order student accommodations to shut down. They don’t care about students wellbeing, mental and physical health. Big businesses just want money.

Why should student accommodation be shut down? Wouldn't that be devastating for those who cannot go home, have part time jobs etc?

What about all the foreign students, where should they live?
For the same reason universities shutdown. To contain the spread of the virus. Or at least give people an opinion.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 25
Many universities are now cancelling contracts for University managed accommodation for next term, it’s changing by the day. Even after making the standard statement that contracts remain in place when asked initially, they have subsequently made a statement to say they are cancelling. Some of the private companies such as Unite are now also beginning to cancel, so hopefully more will follow in the coming weeks. Private housing is a different matter & might not be so willing to follow.
For the same reason universities shutdown. To contain the spread of the virus. Or at least give people an opinion.

Is most university accommodation more dangerous than other accommodation options?
Original post by BBx2
Many universities are now cancelling contracts for University managed accommodation for next term, it’s changing by the day. Even after making the standard statement that contracts remain in place when asked initially, they have subsequently made a statement to say they are cancelling. Some of the private companies such as Unite are now also beginning to cancel, so hopefully more will follow in the coming weeks. Private housing is a different matter & might not be so willing to follow.

Thank you for this info. This is what I was saying by waiting a bit longer as I really believe this will have to change. They can't expect students to keep on borrowing money from the government(student loans) to pay something they are not even using. And I always said private housing is something completely different.
Original post by ajj2000
Is most university accommodation more dangerous than other accommodation options?

Yes, especially for those with compromised immune systems. Too many people, too much gathering. Parent's home much safer.
The closest I’ve seen in the contract but even then it doesn’t really apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending