lizzyh123321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi, I am applying to uni this year and I'm getting a bit scared over whether I will get into the uni I want to go to. I am applying for Classics and English and am very torn between St. Andrews and Oxford so it'll be based on if i get in. I am also thinking of applying to Exeter, KCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Warwick. I did GCSEs (99999888887) but then moved to Scotland and am now doing highers (AAAAB/AAAAA) and am going to do three advanced highers next year (chemistry, french and english). My problem is I don't really do many relevant extracurriculars. I was part of my local youth council for two years, read a bit (not as much as I ought to given my interests) and have done drama out of school since I was 10 which I will try to incorporate into my PS but I'm just getting a bit anxious as to if my grades will speak for themselves or if my application won't be enough to secure me a place at my first choices. I have always gone to a state school, idk if that will affect my chances either way as I feel I might have fewer opportunities than at private schools, especially as I can't study Classics anymore (it was offered at my secondary).
Maybe it's just quarantine getting to me but I'm just looking for some reassurance or advice as to what I can do to improve my chances.
Thanks.
KamikoYukimura
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by lizzyh123321)
Hi, I am applying to uni this year and I'm getting a bit scared over whether I will get into the uni I want to go to. I am applying for Classics and English and am very torn between St. Andrews and Oxford so it'll be based on if i get in. I am also thinking of applying to Exeter, KCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Warwick. I did GCSEs (99999888887) but then moved to Scotland and am now doing highers (AAAAB/AAAAA) and am going to do three advanced highers next year (chemistry, french and english). My problem is I don't really do many relevant extracurriculars. I was part of my local youth council for two years, read a bit (not as much as I ought to given my interests) and have done drama out of school since I was 10 which I will try to incorporate into my PS but I'm just getting a bit anxious as to if my grades will speak for themselves or if my application won't be enough to secure me a place at my first choices. I have always gone to a state school, idk if that will affect my chances either way as I feel I might have fewer opportunities than at private schools, especially as I can't study Classics anymore (it was offered at my secondary).
Maybe it's just quarantine getting to me but I'm just looking for some reassurance or advice as to what I can do to improve my chances.
Thanks.
Idk about oxbridge but alot of unis don't really mind about exrracurricular and will award based on grades. Plus, even if your predicted is below what they offer they often still offer a place, subject to their conditions
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thanks.
1. state school will massively improve your chances
2. you have PLENTY of time for relevant ECs, remember this should be mainly in the form of things you've read
3. don't know why you'd apply for English unis other than Oxbridge if you get free tuition in scotland
lizzyh123321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
1. state school will massively improve your chances
2. you have PLENTY of time for relevant ECs, remember this should be mainly in the form of things you've read
3. don't know why you'd apply for English unis other than Oxbridge if you get free tuition in scotland
true i’m just trying to keep my options open i mostly want to go to st. andrews and my insurance will probs be edinburgh if i have the right grades but yeah imma be reading a lot between now and then.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thanks.
Universities dont look for a great deal of extra curriculars other than about the subject. Writing about the books you have read and tying them into your course will help as will the fact you are in a drama group. Would it be possible to get work experience in a library or in some form of newspaper in the summer assuming the situation with the coronavirus improves by then. Oxford in particular are trying to increase their state school in take so I cant imagine that will disadvantage you.

However Oxford and I assume St Andrews are very difficult to get into and even with excellent grades students still get rejected so that is worth keeping in mind. Exeter is really good for English. Have you though of Durham. It is outstanding for English and small like St Andrews and Exeter. Are you someone who will feel comfortable in big cities as KCL and Glasgow are in huge cities and totally different to places like St Andrews and Exeter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (39)
58.21%
No (28)
41.79%

Watched Threads