dupeCheckQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm not gonna lie, I f***ed up year 1 big time. I like to think that it wasn't because of any fault of my own but I suppose in some way it sort of is.

I have ended up missing such a large amount of lectures, tutorials, assignments and exams because of mental health reasons there's is literally no way possible for me to attain the percentage needed to pass the year. Is there anything I can do about it?

I thought about asking to redo the year at the current Uni I am at as well as redoing year 1 at another Uni entirely but I don't know if either of those would be possible, either because the Unis would reject me this time or because Student Finance would refuse to loan me any money for studying again. I've also thought about just giving up entirely and just accepting that what has happened just means I won't be able to study at University and I might just have to settle with a standard job with no education requirements.

What do you guys think? I'm not particularly what to do or what I can do at this point.
Any help is appreciated
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Year 1 ? Isn’t that like what you do in primary school at 6?
dupeCheckQ
Rep:
?
Year 1 Uni. Y'know - first year.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you talked to anyone at the uni about your options?
Have you sought assistance for the mental health issues?
dupeCheckQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sataris)
Have you talked to anyone at the uni about your options?
Have you sought assistance for the mental health issues?
I've spoken to someone and they weren't very helpful to be honest with you - a little bit dismissive of the whole thing. I couldn't really blame them though, it does sound a bit stupid.
They pretty much said this year is a bust and gave no useful advice past that.
I've sorted out my mental health now at least, yeah. So I guess I have that going for me if nothing else.
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dupeCheckQ)
I've spoken to someone and they weren't very helpful to be honest with you - a little bit dismissive of the whole thing. I couldn't really blame them though, it does sound a bit stupid.
They pretty much said this year is a bust and gave no useful advice past that.
I've sorted out my mental health now at least, yeah. So I guess I have that going for me if nothing else.
I don't think it sounds a bit stupid, I think they sound a bit useless. See if there's anyone who might give you some more information. If you fail the year something will need to happen, so I wouldn't stop until you find out what that could be. Have you looked at the extenuating circumstances regulations for your uni?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Similar situation. My uni was pretty lenient and said there was retake opportunities in summer. Anyways I ended up scraping a pass despite all my worrying, but I knew plenty of people who ****ed first year and just retook in summer and now they're doing fine in 2nd year with me.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dupeCheckQ)
I'm not gonna lie, I f***ed up year 1 big time. I like to think that it wasn't because of any fault of my own but I suppose in some way it sort of is.

I have ended up missing such a large amount of lectures, tutorials, assignments and exams because of mental health reasons there's is literally no way possible for me to attain the percentage needed to pass the year. Is there anything I can do about it?

I thought about asking to redo the year at the current Uni I am at as well as redoing year 1 at another Uni entirely but I don't know if either of those would be possible, either because the Unis would reject me this time or because Student Finance would refuse to loan me any money for studying again. I've also thought about just giving up entirely and just accepting that what has happened just means I won't be able to study at University and I might just have to settle with a standard job with no education requirements.

What do you guys think? I'm not particularly what to do or what I can do at this point.
Any help is appreciated
You need to seek help for your mental health issues before you reattempt Year 1, as otherwise it's likely that you'll meet with the same difficulties are before. If your current university doesn't offer the right help for you, ask your GP and think about provision offered at other universities.

If you have only used 1 year of Student Finance so far, then you will be able to get funding for the entirety of another course (as you've now used up your gift year of funding). You may also be able to claim CPR for this year on mental health grounds, which would keep your gift year intact if successful.

That being said, you don't have to go to university at all if you don't want to. University level study isn't for everyone, and not all jobs require a degree. It really depends on what you want to study and what you want to get out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (337)
34.74%
No (633)
65.26%

Watched Threads