tecna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I dont know if I should take a gap year or not for medicine
My gcse grades arent grade coz I came in the uk late n didnt know that gcses were so important n no one stressed the importance
I got one 9 three 7s n the rest were all 6s.
I really wanna go to manchester univeristy but I dont meet the gcse requirements right now I'm doing bio chem n psychology n hoping to get 4 a stars coz I also do the epq
Im so anxious coz a lot of ppl say that it is much harder to get in when u take a gap year
Also for my 5th choice I dont wanna apply for biomed I would rather apply for computing however again my career advisor has told me that that wouldnt be wise coz then that doesnt show that u r passionate about medicine.
Last edited by tecna; 8 months ago
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by tecna)
My gcse grades arent grade coz I came in the uk late n didnt know that gcses were so important n no one stressed the importance
I really wanna go to manchester univeristy but I dont meet the gcse requirements right now I'm doing bio chem n psychology n hoping to get 4 a stars coz I also do the epq
Im so anxious coz a lot of ppl say that it is much harder to get in when u take a gap year
Also for my 5th choice I dont wanna apply for biomed I would rather apply for computing however again my career advisor has told me that that wouldnt be wise coz then that doesnt show that u r passionate about medicine.
While I am not sure about Manchester and how important your gcse's are to them (would they accept your grades?)- I moved to Scotland from abroad at age 15 and did Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers. I applied for the first time last year to study medicine going into my second gap year, I got an offer from my first choice, the University of Glasgow earlier this month.

Gap years can be extremely beneficial if you make good use of them whether that be volunteering, getting more medical related work experience, working in a medical related position and earning some money, etc. I personally did an internship with an Intellectual disabilities research group, I am writing my own research review. I also volunteered and continue to volunteer with Autistic children in a sort of music and dance class which I love. My most amazing/ helpful work experience placement took place in my gap year. If you are sure that medicine is for you and that you would be able to get in with your grades, I honestly believe there is no harm in taking a Gap year provided you keep focused. However, if universities are unlikely to accept your grades then graduate entry medicine while more competitive, could be an option for you.
tecna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by tecna)
What's wrong with your first post and @AfricanDream's reply?!

Please don't double post, it's against our rules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (674)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (854)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.54%

Watched Threads