The Student Room Group

Is A-level Further Math difficult?

I got 97 for my IGCSEs mocks (IGCSEs got cancelled and this is the only score I have), and I did not take further maths for IGCSEs. But now I'm thinking to take A-level maths and Further maths; however, I heard that Further Maths is incredibly difficult. I'm planning to take economics, business, maths, and if possible, further maths. I do like maths but not sure whether to take it or not... :frown:
It depends honestly , what types of unis (like roughly, lse? oxbridge? or a normal decent uni) and what program/degree are u trying to get into?
You may end up putting yourself in a situation where ur doing (a lot) more work than you need to
It's hard but I love it, plus you don't need to spend that much time studying it as other subjects.
Further Maths isn't that hard - it's just made out to be for some odd reason.
It will probably be one of if not your most challenging A Levels but the content is quite easy to grasp and understand - you'll be fine.
It's not that hard if you put in the effort. I find it more interesting than normal maths
Original post by .unknown
It's not that hard if you put in the effort. I find it more interesting than normal maths

I 100% agree - the content is so much more engaging
Reply 6
Original post by abcd0613
I got 97 for my IGCSEs mocks (IGCSEs got cancelled and this is the only score I have), and I did not take further maths for IGCSEs. But now I'm thinking to take A-level maths and Further maths; however, I heard that Further Maths is incredibly difficult. I'm planning to take economics, business, maths, and if possible, further maths. I do like maths but not sure whether to take it or not... :frown:

Hi, I'm in Year 12 and I take Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics, and want to study Economics at university (probably Cambridge or LSE). Like you I had very strong GCSE marks (I got 93.75% in Edexcel GCSE Maths and 98% in FSMQ Addmaths). While I'm only in Year 12 (and so I've only seen the AS stuff, I haven't got onto the Year 13 A level content yet), I'm not currently finding the Further Maths content very difficult (the last paper I did with college I got 75/76, mostly AS further maths stuff), like any other subject, if you revise it enough, you will do well. Further maths probably will be difficult (and you also have to bear in mind that a lot of the very best students in the country will be competing in that exam), but I'm sure if you're willing to put in the hours then you should be able to do well :smile:

Just as a side note though, I strongly advise against taking business and economics, as business has significant subject overlap with economics, but is generally considered a lot easier, and there are some universities who won't like an applicant with business and economics (as they are so similar), so I advise choosing a different A level than that. Physics, chemistry, computer science, geography, politics and history will all complement maths, further maths and economics, but to be honest it is entirely up to you. Just bear this in mind.

Good luck with whatever you take :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zoqua
Hi, I'm in Year 12 and I take Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics, and want to study Economics at university (probably Cambridge or LSE). Like you I had very strong GCSE marks (I got 93.75% in Edexcel GCSE Maths and 98% in FSMQ Addmaths). While I'm only in Year 12 (and so I've only seen the AS stuff, I haven't got onto the Year 13 A level content yet), I'm not currently finding the Further Maths content very difficult (the last paper I did with college I got 75/76, mostly AS further maths stuff), like any other subject, if you revise it enough, you will do well. Further maths probably will be difficult (and you also have to bear in mind that a lot of the very best students in the country will be competing in that exam), but I'm sure if you're willing to put in the hours then you should be able to do well :smile:

Just as a side note though, I strongly advise against taking business and economics, as business has significant subject overlap with economics, but is generally considered a lot easier, and there are some universities who won't like an applicant with business and economics (as they are so similar), so I advise choosing a different A level than that. Physics, chemistry, computer science, geography, politics and history will all complement maths, further maths and economics, but to be honest it is entirely up to you. Just bear this in mind.

Good luck with whatever you take :smile:

Oh, thank you so much! Your answer was really really helpful. I should re-consider taking business ; ) I hope you will get good scores from your A-level too. Thanks again!
Reply 8
Thank you so much for all your replies! I am currently thinking to apply to one of the top universities in several countries, including the UK, South Korea, and Hongkong. And I want to study economics at university. Thanks a lot again for your kind replies and advice. They were super helpful! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by abcd0613
Thank you so much for all your replies! I am currently thinking to apply to one of the top universities in several countries, including the UK, South Korea, and Hongkong. And I want to study economics at university. Thanks a lot again for your kind replies and advice. They were super helpful! :smile:

Good luck fellow economics applicant :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest