chickenfeets
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is the corneal epithelium best described as a simple epithelium, cuboidal epithelium, stratified epithelium, flat epithelium or all of them? Thanks
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chickenfeets)
Is the corneal epithelium best described as a simple epithelium, cuboidal epithelium, stratified epithelium, flat epithelium or all of them? Thanks
Do you know what the different types of epithelium are? Do you know the difference between a simple squamous epithelium and a pseudostratified columnar epithelium? If not I would suggest you look into this, I will provide a basic explanation.
Simple = one layer
Stratified = multiple layers (strata)
Squamous = flat
Cuboidal = length and width of each cell are roughly the same
Columnar = length of each cell is greater than the width.
There are also further modifiers such as whether it is keratinised, or ciliated for example.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
chickenfeets
The corneal epithelium is "compound" i.e. it has more than one type of cell..

It has overall 6-7 layers of [so stratified] and, of course non-keratinized [for transparency].epithelial cells.

There is a single basal layer [innermost] of columnar cells (see jpw's post above); then 2-3 layers of "wing" cells and lastly [on the surface] 2-3 layers of squamous cells [squamous cells appear sickle-shaped in cross-section, but a good analogy for the 3-D shape is a single corn-flake].

M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.14%
No (517)
65.86%

Watched Threads