What work experience is required? where from?

Watch
Eoioioi34
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, i would like to become a detective but still want to go to uni so i have done lots of research and have found the police now detective programme. This is a two year course that will give me all the skills necessary for a detective however it requires 2 years of previous work experience and a undergraduate degree.
sorry this is a lot of reading
anyway my question: What work experience would be required and where can i find the relevant experience?
thank you for any help you can provide!
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emily.g34)
hi, i would like to become a detective but still want to go to uni so i have done lots of research and have found the police now detective programme. This is a two year course that will give me all the skills necessary for a detective however it requires 2 years of previous work experience and a undergraduate degree.
sorry this is a lot of reading
anyway my question: What work experience would be required and where can i find the relevant experience?
thank you for any help you can provide!
I don’t work in the public sector however, my initial studies were intended to take me down a similar route. It’s safe to presume the specific work experience would have to be fairly relevant. The requirement for entry on the course may be policing, armed personnel, or fire fighting. This itself requires its own set of entry requirements.

I have found entry level careers in the public sector that may factor in a level of investigation work “detective” but they’re graduate level.
Undergraduate level will most likely be used for entry into the jobs that will give you your work experience for detective related courses, without the requirement for graduate level qualifications.
Eoioioi34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris2892)
I don’t work in the public sector however, my initial studies were intended to take me down a similar route. It’s safe to presume the specific work experience would have to be fairly relevant. The requirement for entry on the course may be policing, armed personnel, or fire fighting. This itself requires its own set of entry requirements.

I have found entry level careers in the public sector that may factor in a level of investigation work “detective” but they’re graduate level.
Undergraduate level will most likely be used for entry into the jobs that will give you your work experience for detective related courses, without the requirement for graduate level qualifications.
hi, thank you for the reply. May i ask what you studied? also it does say in the requirements undergraduate degree or above. i am thinking about studying criminology as i have an intrest in it and it seems relevent.

This is a link to the website
https://www.policenow.org.uk/nationa...ive-programme/
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emily.g34)
hi, thank you for the reply. May i ask what you studied? also it does say in the requirements undergraduate degree or above. i am thinking about studying criminology as i have an intrest in it and it seems relevent.

This is a link to the website
https://www.policenow.org.uk/nationa...ive-programme/
I studied a combination of law, criminology, sociology, and psychology at college to then go to university and study criminology. This was about 10 years ago when there was a sudden cut in public services, where I then decided to change my career goals.

The undergraduate qualification required seems to point towards a foundation degree or HND (higher national diploma). Both take 2 years full time to complete.

Criminology is very specific, but relevant. You might also want to consider studying a broader degree, like law. If you check the university websites for their law degree modules, you may find universities that offer modules more focused around your career goals.

Studying a broader degree will allow more flexibility in your studies, and more opportunity to change career goals should they change over time.
Eoioioi34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris2892)
I studied a combination of law, criminology, sociology, and psychology at college to then go to university and study criminology. This was about 10 years ago when there was a sudden cut in public services, where I then decided to change my career goals.

The undergraduate qualification required seems to point towards a foundation degree or HND (higher national diploma). Both take 2 years full time to complete.

Criminology is very specific, but relevant. You might also want to consider studying a broader degree, like law. If you check the university websites for their law degree modules, you may find universities that offer modules more focused around your career goals.

Studying a broader degree will allow more flexibility in your studies, and more opportunity to change career goals should they change over time.
thank you so much, i shall do some more research, your advice was very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.38%
Uncertainty around my education (62)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
12.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (71)
13.17%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.38%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (57)
10.58%
Financial worries (34)
6.31%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.71%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.12%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.78%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (55)
10.2%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (45)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise