Jack-a-Jelly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
so i'm in year 12 and due to the current situation, almost all events/work experience opportunities/lectures/workshops, etc have been cancelled, understandably. But when it comes to writing about things i've done for UCAS, I won't haqve much to say. Also, I want to go into medicine at uni, so that's already tough and competitive.

So do you think that med schools will be generous and understand, and what do you think I could be doing to make a stronger application?
Amazing Melon
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Schools will understand as everyone in the year has missed school maybe do some extra reading to make a stronger application
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amazing Melon)
Schools will understand as everyone in the year has missed school maybe do some extra reading to make a stronger application
Yeah, I guess.... do you do medicine?
any reading suggestions.....?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Your experience is supposed to make you stand out from other candidates on your application, to show that you would be a better fit for the course than them.

Seeing as everyone is in the same boat this year, it isn't at all as bad as you might think - as NOBODY will have had access to the kind of experiences that should be mentioned.
Horse girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
You could try doing some online courses
Joel746
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
You could always try doing some work experience in year 13? I’m also in year 12 and there are many people in the same situation as you, so you are not at any disadvantage
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Horse girl)
You could try doing some online courses
Do you know any courses? Preferably if they are free or like very cheap..?
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joel746)
You could always try doing some work experience in year 13? I’m also in year 12 and there are many people in the same situation as you, so you are not at any disadvantage
I guess, but from what i've heard, there's already so much going on in yr 13 so I probably won't be able to make time? But sure, as a backup plan
Joel746
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Jack-a-Jelly)
I guess, but from what i've heard, there's already so much going on in yr 13 so I probably won't be able to make time? But sure, as a backup plan
Yes, there will be much more work to do in year 13, especially now that we’re not going to have any official lessons until September (most likely), but I’m sure that universities will be understanding of this as it is affecting everybody in our year in the UK. This is why it shouldn’t affect you, as unless someone has incredible time managing skills it’s unlikely that anyone will be able to get any work experience. Only time will tell what will happen, I can only speculate based on what is currently events so I guess we will have to wait and see.
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joel746)
Yes, there will be much more work to do in year 13, especially now that we’re not going to have any official lessons until September (most likely), but I’m sure that universities will be understanding of this as it is affecting everybody in our year in the UK. This is why it shouldn’t affect you, as unless someone has incredible time managing skills it’s unlikely that anyone will be able to get any work experience. Only time will tell what will happen, I can only speculate based on what is currently events so I guess we will have to wait and see.
yeah, cheers....I'm not as stressed now. Thanks
Joel746
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
yeah, cheers....I'm not as stressed now. Thanks
Happy to help
forbearne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
so i'm in year 12 and due to the current situation, almost all events/work experience opportunities/lectures/workshops, etc have been cancelled, understandably. But when it comes to writing about things i've done for UCAS, I won't haqve much to say. Also, I want to go into medicine at uni, so that's already tough and competitive.

So do you think that med schools will be generous and understand, and what do you think I could be doing to make a stronger application?
have you done any work experience already (clinical)?
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by forbearne)
have you done any work experience already (clinical)?
No, I mean all I have is when i cared for my grandad and engaged with his carers, medication, etc and helped whenever he was at hospital. I had a placement lined up for this Easter break but got cancelled
forbearne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
No, I mean all I have is when i cared for my grandad and engaged with his carers, medication, etc and helped whenever he was at hospital. I had a placement lined up for this Easter break but got cancelled
oh that's really hard luck. BSMS have released this: https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE. Definitely something to look at
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Dont panic about not having a lot of things for UCAS. all medical schools will recoganise that due to the current situation, all year 12 applicants will be in the same postion when it comes to applying for unis later this year! Everyone will be in the same boat!

Maybe instead of focusing on what has been cancelled, think of other opportunities you can do whilst in lock down. For example, maybe start tutoring GCSE students, helping other year 12 students in science subjects. You can also take online courses and i know some universities are still holding their summer programmes online and I think its worth researching these and seeing what opportunties there are and what you can do whilst indoors.

Also, if you are allowed or have the ability to, I would definitely try to get a part time job in a supermarket to help out. Places like iceland, lidl and morrisons all have temporary contracts lasting 6 weeks to get additional help during this crisis. Simmilarly, you could also find places to volunteer to help.

All these things ive mentioned above can be put in your personal statement and show that you've been proactive given the situation the WHOLE of the world is in.

I hope this has helped !
Joel746
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by xozxexo)
Dont panic about not having a lot of things for UCAS. all medical schools will recoganise that due to the current situation, all year 12 applicants will be in the same postion when it comes to applying for unis later this year! Everyone will be in the same boat!

Maybe instead of focusing on what has been cancelled, think of other opportunities you can do whilst in lock down. For example, maybe start tutoring GCSE students, helping other year 12 students in science subjects. You can also take online courses and i know some universities are still holding their summer programmes online and I think its worth researching these and seeing what opportunties there are and what you can do whilst indoors.

Also, if you are allowed or have the ability to, I would definitely try to get a part time job in a supermarket to help out. Places like iceland, lidl and morrisons all have temporary contracts lasting 6 weeks to get additional help during this crisis. Simmilarly, you could also find places to volunteer to help.

All these things ive mentioned above can be put in your personal statement and show that you've been proactive given the situation the WHOLE of the world is in.

I hope this has helped !
This is really good advice OP, you should consider some of these options if you are still unsure
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by xozxexo)

I hope this has helped !
Thank you so much!!! I didn't even think about these. I really appreciate it. Thanks again
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by forbearne)
oh that's really hard luck. BSMS have released this: https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE. Definitely something to look at
Thank you so much... this looks great!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads