Pilbobaggins three week lockdown challenge

Watch
PilboBaggins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone

I hope you're all doing as well as you can at this stressful time?

What an awesome idea to take our minds off things. I'm currently working from home and looking for new things to do in the evenings so this has come at a great time.

Name:  Three week challenge.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  81.2 KB

Over the next three weeks I'm going to challenge myself to...

Make candles

(I know this is a bit of a weird one!) I got a candle making kit for Christmas and I haven't got into doing it yet. I will update on how I get on... I'm not sure if it's a suitable hobby for a naturally clumsy person but, we'll see...

Watch Disney films in chronological order

I love Disney movies and animation and as I've recently signed up for Disney plus this seems like the perfect time to take on such a big challenge... I'll be attempting to watch all of the Disney animated films in chronological order... I'll even leave my reviews on each one here!

Finish building and painting a Kharadron Overlords Warhammer army

I've had these models in my backlog of projects for ages so I'm excited to get around to them!

Read 5 books

I love reading and now I've got some more free time I'm going to attempt to finish reading 5 books... I think these books will be:
- The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- Mistborn: The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I will try to update as much as possible! I'm looking forward to giving this a go. I can't wait to follow of your challenges too

Wish me luck! :afraid:
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PilboBaggins)
x

I love Disney movies and animation and as I've recently signed up for Disney plus this seems like the perfect time to take on such a big challenge... I'll be attempting to watch all of the Disney animated films in chronological order... I'll even leave my reviews on each one here!

I've had these models in my backlog of projects for ages so I'm excited to get around to them!

Read 5 books

I love reading and now I've got some more free time I'm going to attempt to finish reading 5 books... I think these books will be:

I will try to update as much as possible! I'm looking forward to giving this a go. I can't wait to follow of your challenges too

Good luck Pilbo Baggins :woo:
I recognise the name of lots of those books and you simply must give us a little review of the Disney films you watch!!!
You got this :dumbells:
octo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck, Pilbo!! Definitely give us reviews/thoughts on each of the Disney films! I haven't watched a lot of the classics in a loooong time.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone

What an awesome idea to take our minds off things. I'm currently working from home and looking for new things to do in the evenings so this has come at a great time.

Make candles

(I know this is a bit of a weird one!) I got a candle making kit for Christmas and I haven't got into doing it yet. I will update on how I get on... I'm not sure if it's a suitable hobby for a naturally clumsy person but, we'll see...

Read 5 books

Your challenge sounds amazing! You're going to be so busy having literary adventures, lockdown will be over before you know it! Woo!

Interested to read your review of Big Little Lies. I watched season 1 of the netflix series, so I wonder how different the book is.

Good luck mate!
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Good luck Pilbo Baggins :woo:
I recognise the name of lots of those books and you simply must give us a little review of the Disney films you watch!!!
You got this :dumbells:
Thank you very much! :hugs:I added all the movies to my Disney+ watchlist yesterday and I realised just how many I have to get through... I did manage to watch the first one last night though.

Review to come
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by octo)
Good luck, Pilbo!! Definitely give us reviews/thoughts on each of the Disney films! I haven't watched a lot of the classics in a loooong time.
Thanks so much There are a lot of Disney films in this list that I never even knew existed so I'm excited to get through them all.

Disney classics are great!
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
26/03/2020

Hey everyone!

My first update for my 3 week lockdown challenge is here... Last night I managed to watch the first Disney film on my list, and it is, of course (drumroll please)

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfes (1937)

I've only seen this film a handful of times before - not sure why, it's just a Disney classic I seem to have overlooked. We didn't own it when I was growing up which probably played a part.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'm giving it a 6/10 rating. It's crazy to think this was Walt Disney's first feature length movie as it still (mostly) holds up to this day.

Full review below (does contain a few spoilers)

Spoiler:
Show

My first impressions was that the opening credits and music is absolutely beautiful. When you sit back and think about how much work goes into an animation film, even little things like the credits and opening titles are mindblowing!

I also love the charming, hand drawn animation style of the early Disney classics. Although, I'm unsure if it's just me... but the style of Snow White's character herself felt a little off... she looks very different to the other characters in the movie!

Honestly, as much as it's a watchable film I find the story a little dull and convoluted. Not too much really happens. Although, I do love the Evil stepmother/queen as a villain. And, the mirror is way creepier than I remember it being lol.

I find Snow White a bit of a problematic character... I wish she had more of a story line that she carved out for herself rather than just waiting for her prince to come, but hey, it's based off a fairy tale and was made 83 years ago.

I also find the earlier 'Disney Princes' a little creepy... they always seem to just randomly appear and interrupt whilst they are singing? Happens in Sleeping Beauty too so I guess that was a popular meet-cute in early Disney films haha

As the film progressed I started to find Snow White's voice pretty aggravating. Don't get me wrong, as the original Disney princess Ariana Caselotti does a good job at setting the legacy of sickly-sweet leading lady... but, her voice just started to grate on me after a while.

My favourite character is Dopey, I just find him really charming. And, my favourite scene in the movie is the "Whistle while you work" scene. I just don't think woodland creatures helping with household chores will never not be adorable tbh.

Have you seen Snow White before? If so, what did you think?
Last edited by PilboBaggins; 1 year ago
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Your challenge sounds amazing! You're going to be so busy having literary adventures, lockdown will be over before you know it! Woo!

Interested to read your review of Big Little Lies. I watched season 1 of the netflix series, so I wonder how different the book is.

Good luck mate!
Thank you! I can't wait to see you smash your challenges too!

Lockdown? We've got this!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone

Make candles

Read 5 books

Good luck! Candle-making has interested me before too but, like you, I'm rather clumsy and I don't fancy getting wax everywhere! Do keep us updated, you might inspire me to try it out when I can next safely go and get a kit!
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x
There really are so many !
I love Snow White although totally get what you mean about her voice haha
little Cheese was actually quite scared of the scene where she runs into the forest. Actually quite creepy for a Disney film I think :beard:
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Good luck! Candle-making has interested me before too but, like you, I'm rather clumsy and I don't fancy getting wax everywhere! Do keep us updated, you might inspire me to try it out when I can next safely go and get a kit!
The kit I got for Christmas was a small one from Hobbycraft so hopefully I can quite quickly decide if it's for me or not haha! I would love to be able to make candles as gifts for friends/family so that's my motivation for trying to get good at it haha... if it's something you can 'be' good at....
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
There really are so many !
I love Snow White although totally get what you mean about her voice haha
little Cheese was actually quite scared of the scene where she runs into the forest. Actually quite creepy for a Disney film I think :beard:
Oh my gosh, that scene is really scary actually. All of the eyes poking out of the trees! It reminds me a lot of a very similar scene in Alice in Wonderland... but Disney do love reusing animation haha

What is your favourite Disney film?
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
27/03/2020

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well and managing to keep occupied during lockdown.

I have a few bits to update on today... firstly, I finished Big Little Lies. I enjoyed it. It's not the sort of book I usually read (I mostly stick to sci-fi/fantasy) but it was very readable. It deals with some pretty serious issues in a very sensitive way and the story did keep me guessing until the end. Not sure I would re-read but was well written and kept me interested until the end, so I'll give it a 7/10 BlinkyBill as you mentioned you'd watched the show!

I also watched my the second AND third movies in my Disney movie challenge...

Pinocchio (1940)

One of my favourite Disney movies, and one I've watched regularly over the years. My parents both love Pinocchio too, so I think that's why we watched it so much when I was growing up. It was interesting to watch it with a more critical eye than I usually would, but I still think it absolutely stands up!

It has a lot more 'peril' and adventure than Snow White, and I think this is what I was missing in the original Disney film. Overall, I'm giving it a 9/10 - I just love it! A longer review below (contains v slight spoilers lol) :thumbsup:

Spoiler:
Show

The first 10-20 minutes of Pinocchio might be my favourite in any Disney movie. I love the scene of Gepetto's clock shop/home, it just seems so cosy! I find it strangely comforting... it's also my favourite themed area in Disneyland Paris (although I always wish they had an actual clock shop!)

The animation style is so rich and warm and adds to the feel of the film. I love all of the characters, but I especially love Jiminy Cricket - he's my GOAT Disney character

I also have vivid memories of wanting to be the Blue Fairy when I was little hahaha. She is just so ethereal and her animation style is gorgeous.

There are a lot of scary/creepy parts to this movie which make me love it even more. Ngl, the scene where the boy turns into a donkey still scars me a little. And, don't even get me started on the whale scene *shudders*. I love how it has so much action in though, it keeps you interested and in my opinion this movie has the perfect blend of wholesome moments and terrifying ones.

I love the music in Pinocchio, and I think "When you wish upon a star" (my favourite scene in the movie) is also the most iconic/heartwarming Disney song.

The end is satisfying too, although I swear Pinocchio looks creepier as "a real boy"?! All in all, it's just a masterpiece to me. I think I'll always love it and enjoy going back to watch it time and again.

Have you seen Pinocchio? What did you think?

Fantasia (1940)

The second movie I watched yesterday was Fantasia. This is a film I think I've only ever watched once, and honestly the first time around I didn't enjoy it at all. However, I was quite young then so I was looking forward to watching it again with an adult (and hopefully with more appreciation!)

Overall, I love the concept of Fantasia... but I found it a bit of a slog to watch. The music is absolutely beautiful, and the orchestra are extremely talented. But... the talking in between (although quite educational) draaaaagged for me and broke up the flow of the film.

Not doing too much of a review on this one as I did lose focus quite a lot honestly. I'm giving it a 5/10 - the animation was stunning, especially the nutcracker suite pieces. And, sorcerer Mickey is iconic... but, it just didn't do it for me. I'm interested to see if I like Fantasia 2000 anymore or if it's just more of the same.
username4648086
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:ta: for the rave reviews! Watching this cuz that's the next best thing to watching the movies (as my data is limited)
Also I'm curious to know about the book reviews too :ahee:
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
:ta: for the rave reviews! Watching this cuz that's the next best thing to watching the movies (as my data is limited)
Also I'm curious to know about the book reviews too :ahee:
Hehehe thank you :giggle: I was worried they might be too long

I really enjoyed the first book on my list, Big Little Lies. I never read this genre of book so it was quite refreshing. The characters were well formed and you could empathize with them all - which was important to the story. I had no idea what was going to happen and was surprised at the end so I would recommend it, although I personally would probably not read it again!

What sort of books do you like to read?
username4648086
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hehehe thank you :giggle: I was worried they might be too long

I really enjoyed the first book on my list, Big Little Lies. I never read this genre of book so it was quite refreshing. The characters were well formed and you could empathize with them all - which was important to the story. I had no idea what was going to happen and was surprised at the end so I would recommend it, although I personally would probably not read it again!

What sort of books do you like to read?
Not long to me tho
Coolio I'd be adding them to my bucket list right away
YA mystery usually, but if someone recommends other genres I'd defo read them and sometimes I randomly choose an epub book
Edit : Since you've got #2 of Mistborn series, are you planning to add 4 more? :gah:
I've read Lovely Bones some years back...its certainly bound to leave a long lasting impression ...
Last edited by username4648086; 1 year ago
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
Not long to me tho
Coolio I'd be adding them to my bucket list right away
YA mystery usually, but if someone recommends other genres I'd defo read them and sometimes I randomly choose an epub book
Edit : Since you've got #2 of Mistborn series, are you planning to add 4 more? :gah:
I've read Lovely Bones some years back...its certainly bound to leave a long lasting impression ...
Awesome! I love anything YA too. YA fantasy is my usual genre but high fantasy is great too.

I am... but probably not within the three weeks! Haha, I am still waiting for Amazon to deliver Mistborn #2 - looking forward to reading it though, I loved the first one.

I have seen the movie of the Lovely Bones and it's awesome, but yeah I know what you mean - it's a hard watch so I expect the book will be too.
username4648086
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awesome! I love anything YA too. YA fantasy is my usual genre but high fantasy is great too.

I am... but probably not within the three weeks! Haha, I am still waiting for Amazon to deliver Mistborn #2 - looking forward to reading it though, I loved the first one.

I have seen the movie of the Lovely Bones and it's awesome, but yeah I know what you mean - it's a hard watch so I expect the book will be too.
:woo: :five: Coolio!
Oops i quite forgot, i sortof got used to reading digitally Would you prefer paperback even if the delivery would take long? For me, if I start reading in the series, I simply have to reach till the end of series XD
The cover of Mistborn is soooo cool, reminds me of Throne of Glass

O.o awesome indeed! I agree..It has these "how to let it go" vibes
Last edited by username4648086; 1 year ago
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x

Fantasia (1940)

The second movie I watched yesterday was Fantasia. This is a film I think I've only ever watched once, and honestly the first time around I didn't enjoy it at all. However, I was quite young then so I was looking forward to watching it again with an adult (and hopefully with more appreciation!)

Overall, I love the concept of Fantasia... but I found it a bit of a slog to watch. The music is absolutely beautiful, and the orchestra are extremely talented. But... the talking in between (although quite educational) draaaaagged for me and broke up the flow of the film.

Not doing too much of a review on this one as I did lose focus quite a lot honestly. I'm giving it a 5/10 - the animation was stunning, especially the nutcracker suite pieces. And, sorcerer Mickey is iconic... but, it just didn't do it for me. I'm interested to see if I like Fantasia 2000 anymore or if it's just more of the same.
two iconic Disney classics!
I agree with you on the scary parts of Pinocchio 100%

Fantasia though, always loved it. Maybe it was my subconscious reason for wanting to learn to play violin :dontknow: :nopity:

awesome update, keep up the fab stuff!
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
27/03/2020

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well and managing to keep occupied during lockdown.

I have a few bits to update on today... firstly, I finished Big Little Lies. I enjoyed it. It's not the sort of book I usually read (I mostly stick to sci-fi/fantasy) but it was very readable. It deals with some pretty serious issues in a very sensitive way and the story did keep me guessing until the end. Not sure I would re-read but was well written and kept me interested until the end, so I'll give it a 7/10 BlinkyBill as you mentioned you'd watched the show!

I also watched my the second AND third movies in my Disney movie challenge...

Pinocchio (1940)

One of my favourite Disney movies, and one I've watched regularly over the years. My parents both love Pinocchio too, so I think that's why we watched it so much when I was growing up. It was interesting to watch it with a more critical eye than I usually would, but I still think it absolutely stands up!

It has a lot more 'peril' and adventure than Snow White, and I think this is what I was missing in the original Disney film. Overall, I'm giving it a 9/10 - I just love it! A longer review below (contains v slight spoilers lol) :thumbsup:

Spoiler:
Show

The first 10-20 minutes of Pinocchio might be my favourite in any Disney movie. I love the scene of Gepetto's clock shop/home, it just seems so cosy! I find it strangely comforting... it's also my favourite themed area in Disneyland Paris (although I always wish they had an actual clock shop!)

The animation style is so rich and warm and adds to the feel of the film. I love all of the characters, but I especially love Jiminy Cricket - he's my GOAT Disney character

I also have vivid memories of wanting to be the Blue Fairy when I was little hahaha. She is just so ethereal and her animation style is gorgeous.

There are a lot of scary/creepy parts to this movie which make me love it even more. Ngl, the scene where the boy turns into a donkey still scars me a little. And, don't even get me started on the whale scene *shudders*. I love how it has so much action in though, it keeps you interested and in my opinion this movie has the perfect blend of wholesome moments and terrifying ones.

I love the music in Pinocchio, and I think "When you wish upon a star" (my favourite scene in the movie) is also the most iconic/heartwarming Disney song.

The end is satisfying too, although I swear Pinocchio looks creepier as "a real boy"?! All in all, it's just a masterpiece to me. I think I'll always love it and enjoy going back to watch it time and again.

Have you seen Pinocchio? What did you think?

Fantasia (1940)

Ooooh so interesting to see 7/10 for Big Little Lies! I might have to read that guy! Or... add it to my ever-growing list of things to read!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads