Could someone please help me?

Watch
the-anomalily
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I think I might be struggling with my mental health.

For background- I am 14 years old, with a younger sister (aged 9) and two living parents that are both still married.
The reason I am asking this is because I am feeling constantly negative, all the time. I cry a lot and I can't seem to be motivated to do some of the things I used to love doing (e.g drawing, baking, etc). My mum has told me that I show a couple of narcissistic traits (jealousy being one of them). I just don't know what to do. I do think that it might just be 'teenage angst' or something like that, but I am worried it's something worse because none of my friends seem to be going through the same thing.
Thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
Are not noticing any changes below such as you might be going through puberty and this could be affecting you mentally due to hormones
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'll do some research and get back to you.
hjm40213550
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’d advise looking at online counselling type sites. I use Kooth at the moments and it’s great - completely anonymous, professional counsellors and so much material written by young people for young people, I find it really helpful. I also love Youper and Moodfit for apps because I can track how I’m feeling through the day (Moodfit) and talk to AI counsellors (Youper).
Hope his helps you
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
Sounds like puberty
NonIndigenous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by the-anomalily)
I think I might be struggling with my mental health.

For background- I am 14 years old, with a younger sister (aged 9) and two living parents that are both still married.
The reason I am asking this is because I am feeling constantly negative, all the time. I cry a lot and I can't seem to be motivated to do some of the things I used to love doing (e.g drawing, baking, etc). My mum has told me that I show a couple of narcissistic traits (jealousy being one of them). I just don't know what to do. I do think that it might just be 'teenage angst' or something like that, but I am worried it's something worse because none of my friends seem to be going through the same thing.
Thank you
I don't think your mother calling you out that way is very helpful. Don't let it get to your head too much.

Real narcissistic personality disorder is a serious thing. Throwing the word 'narcissism' around at people your age who often do not really understand what it means doesn't solve problems. It can just make people even more insecure and narcissistic.

Everyone has some narcissistic personality traits, bear that in mind. We have bad days as well, which often when such personality traits will amplify themselves. People with problems often naturally become more self-centred and self-focused, or just basically selfish. Provided it does not become chronic, it is a reasonable reaction.

And I am sure your friends are going through similar things. It's just difficult being open about it. For comparison, do your friends know that you are going through this at the moment? I suspect not. Why not? I also suspect you don't know what they're going through for similar reasons.
the-anomalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are not noticing any changes below such as you might be going through puberty and this could be affecting you mentally due to hormones
Thank you! This makes a lot of sense.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by the-anomalily)
Thank you! This makes a lot of sense.
You’re welcome hun. Just remember if you start to see blood down there don’t worry you can buy products at any age without a ID so I recommend a pad instead of tampon so you’re not sticking anything in there and a hot water bottle for the cramps that may occur. Feel free to speak to your mum about it.

Hair growth is also normal but don’t worry it doesn’t change who you are
the-anomalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
I don't think your mother calling you out that way is very helpful. Don't let it get to your head too much.

Real narcissistic personality disorder is a serious thing. Throwing the word 'narcissism' around at people your age who often do not really understand what it means doesn't solve problems. It can just make people even more insecure and narcissistic.

Everyone has some narcissistic personality traits, bear that in mind. We have bad days as well, which often when such personality traits will amplify themselves. People with problems often naturally become more self-centred and self-focused, or just basically selfish. Provided it does not become chronic, it is a reasonable reaction.

And I am sure your friends are going through similar things. It's just difficult being open about it. For comparison, do your friends know that you are going through this at the moment? I suspect not. Why not? I also suspect you don't know what they're going through for similar reasons.
This has helped a lot, thank you. I didn't know that everyone shows narcissistic traits. I am going to talk to some of my friends, see if they are going through the same things. Thank you so much.
the-anomalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by hjm40213550)
I’d advise looking at online counselling type sites. I use Kooth at the moments and it’s great - completely anonymous, professional counsellors and so much material written by young people for young people, I find it really helpful. I also love Youper and Moodfit for apps because I can track how I’m feeling through the day (Moodfit) and talk to AI counsellors (Youper).
Hope his helps you
This sounds great! I have been looking for people to talk to, but I am afraid of it coming back around. These sound like exactly what I need. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads