UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all UCLan students,
I know many of you have questions about how Coronavirus will effect studying, exams, placements or life on campus. Firstly, remember we are all in this together and if you have worries and questions, you are not alone. So let’s help each other!

This is a very challenging time and we are here to support you. The majority of our staff are working from home, often around the clock, but if there is a short delay in them responding, we kindly ask that you please bear with us.
Here are a few answers that will hopefully give you a little peace of mind.

For LIVE updates please see: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/news/coronavirus-update.php

Q: How should I continue my studies at home?

Spoiler:
Show
We are fully committed to continuing your education - we are just having to change the way we do things. We do not want this to affect your learning and we are working hard to ensure you can do this remotely by using digital means such as Microsoft Teams and accessing resources on Blackboard.

We recognise that all courses are different and present different challenges when considering alternative means of delivering high-quality learning and teaching. Your course team is currently considering the ways to do this for your subject and they will be in touch with you via your UCLan email account with details. The library online resources remain available. Please could you therefore regularly check your UCLan email for updates from your course team.

Q: How will this effect Graduation ceremonies and other events?

Spoiler:
Show
It is with a heavy heart that we have made the decision to postpone our Summer Graduation ceremonies to December 2020, in order to protect our students, staff and visitors during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Lancashire Science Festival and Graduate Fashion Show have also been cancelled for 2020 and will return in 2021. We apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment that this may cause.
Full details: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/news/uclan-t...iQToDfNIsKR-0c

Q: What is Coronavirus (COVID-19) and what are the symptoms?
Spoiler:
Show
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of Coronavirus. Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
Generally, Coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease. Please refer to NHS site for updates and more information: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Q: What do the new Social Distancing Measures mean?
Spoiler:
Show
This means that if you are not self-isolating, you can only leave your house, halls of residence or other accommodation for four reasons:

1. To shop for essential items, such as food and medicine. Shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible
2. One form of exercise a day such as a run, walk or cycle. This should be done alone or only with people you live with
3. To fulfil any medical or care needs or to help a vulnerable person
4. To travel to and from work where it is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

Even when following the above guidance, you should minimise the amount of time spent out of your homes or accommodation and should keep two metres (six feet) away from people you do not live with.
The full guidance on social distancing measures has now been updated on the government website.

Q: What if I am currently on placement?
Spoiler:
Show
Current placements are continuing at the moment unless you are informed otherwise by your course team. Whilst on placement you will be expected to follow the guidelines from the employer you are working for and maintaining a good level of hygiene with regular hand washing is strongly advised.

It is very important to keep an open dialogue with all course advisors to find out up to date information about your course.

Q: How will I access the wellbeing team?
Spoiler:
Show
Our Wellbeing team are providing a remote support service for students, both online and via telephone. If you have an appointment already booked, one of our Advisors will contact you via telephone using the number you have provided.

If you would like to access any support, please fill in the online referral form. If you have any questions, please contact us by emailing [email protected].

Q: Will this affect my exams and assessments?

Spoiler:
Show
Please be assured that you will be able to continue with your studies and assessments. We are making special arrangements to allow examinations to be completed. Exams will be carried out where possible online. For those courses where it won’t be practical to conduct assessments online, lecturers will be in touch about submitting work via post or alternative means. In all cases we will be confirming how assessments will be taking place. Please continue to look at your UCLan email account over the coming weeks for updates on how to carry out your assessments and exams online or remotely. For practical and other portfolio-type assessments, course teams will be in touch with details.

We are working closely with the professional bodies that accredit many of our courses to ensure that any changes we introduce to your assessments are with their full support.

We are committed that these unprecedented circumstances will not disadvantage you and your learning. We recognise this is an unsettling situation and please understand that we are working hard to work through all the questions, concerns and issues that are emerging, for us and the whole sector.

Stay safe everyone!

📧[email protected]

Catherine
Last edited by UCLan Ambassador; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (209)
52.38%
No, they should still go ahead (56)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (134)
33.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed