Is extinction rebellion too extreme?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is the extinction rebellion an extremist organisation?
(Btw this is a Question not a statement)

Whilst I consider myself pro environmentalist I think extinction rebellion gives other environmentalists a bad name.

They want to ban all air travel and take away our freedom to travel and see other places. They also expressed extreme delight when our local airline Flybe went bust.

They do not care people have lost jobs and livilhoods and won’t be able to pay bills and may loose their homes.

They don’t care that young apprentices who were eager for a career in aviation have had their dreams ended as there is no other aviation work in the south west.

But what is really sick is that many are expressing great delight that the CV virus has stopped air travel despite the fact people are also dying. It’s like to ER the virus is some sort of gift from the gods.

Any organisation that puts its ideals before any compassion and all the collateral damage that results is in my opinion an extremist organisation. One that gives all other more liberal environmentalists a bad name.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 1 week ago
Ali-789
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Is the extinction rebellion an extremist organisation?
(Btw this is a Question not a statement)

Whilst I consider myself pro environmentalist I think extinction rebellion gives other environmentalists a bad name.

They want to ban all air travel and take away our freedom to travel and see other places. They also expressed extreme delight when our local airline Flybe went bust.

They do not care people have lost jobs and livilhoods and won’t be able to pay bills and may loose their homes.

They don’t care that young apprentices who were eager for a career in aviation have had their dreams ended as there is no other aviation work in the south west.

But what is really sick is that many are expressing great delight that the CV virus has stopped air travel despite the fact people are also dying. It’s like to ER the virus is some sort of gift from the gods.

Any organisation that puts its ideals before any compassion and all the collateral damage that results is in my opinion an extremist organisation. One that gives all other more liberal environmentalists a bad name.
In my opinion they are not the smartest of people nor do have a realistic aim especially for immediate implementation of their plans. And in my opinion are extremists.

I'm more of a balanced person and believe you have to take everything into account before rushing to conclusion. Its obvious that as humans we need to stop polluting the earth however we must find alternative methods to change the situation we are in as its not realistic to completely stop using fossil fuels right now as we have no other energy source that can take over its role. However, i believe we should do our part to reduce our waste and pollution we cause and larger companies should be forced (if need be) to reduce their pollution and waste. I believe the only way to sort this issue is to encourage companies and corporations to make newer more sustainable energy sources and then slowly (but not too slowly) convert over from fossil fuels to that as our main source to produce energy.

I don't think we will ever be able to be completely fossil fuel independent but we can drastically reduce it but i don't think women walking round topless screaming slogans will change it we need to change the mind of these large companies via incentives from the governments so they can not only find a suitable method to produce energy and reduce pollution, but so other large companies convert to that reliable source as larger companies or corporations are the main issue for the pollution the world has, since as individuals we can only reduce it to a certain amount which isn't that much in the bigger picture.
Last edited by Ali-789; 1 week ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
After reading their book, website and podcast and gaining an understanding of what their actual goals are, I've come to the conclusion that they are not extremists. Extinction rebellion groups act autonomously so they may not always fit it with their aims
Treetop321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think many of their actions are too extreme and they often target the wrong people.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes they are alarmists and extremists.
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They'er not "extreme". Extremist environmentalists, eco fascists etc, want to genocide entire populations and do things like blow up oil pipes, which actually cause more environmental damage. They are not the smartest of people. They target the wrong people, i've spoken to XR members who confirm this, like when two of their members "went rogue" and decided to protest in the east end of london by blocking commuters on a tube.

Why would they glue themselvse to the DLR, an electric, emission free form of transport?

I think flying should be reduced, but to ban it...that's a regressive step. They are effectively asking us to become an isolationist state. They're probably celebrating the coronavirus crisis because no one is flying and emissions are down, whilst still complaining that its not the top of the priority.

It's a cult around Thunberg. A cult she in no way endorses, but it has been created like she is some kind of superhero. I say this as a left-winger and someone who is sympathetic to environmentalism. They believe that we face some kind of impending doom.....yet the changes they are talking about are due to start occuring in around 50 years...not 5.

They also claimed they are the "best chance to overthrow capitalism". So clearly they have some ulterior motive, and whilst I applaud any challenge to capitalism, if Extinction Rebellion really is the best chance to end the system, thhen I think I'll probably give up. Marx would be turning in his grave.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, while there are those in XR who go bats*** crazy, they have greatly increased awareness about climate change along with many young activists, where for decades we have acknowledged climate change, now is when the penny is dropping for serious policy change.

Not just XR though, hope climate change activism continues on for all our futures.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't consider them extremists but felt that they picked completely the wrong places in London to protest. Oxford Circus where almost everyone arrives by tube or bus, on top of a DLR train, for example.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They have good intentions I think but the way they go about things just aggravates people. They are a little extreme.
You don’t get people onside with such aggression.
I speak for myself when I say I find them intimidating and therefore avoid them and what they have to say
You catch more flies with honey
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.63%
No (450)
66.37%

Watched Threads