Kichujay07
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’m not sure on how to start my paragraph on a Christmas carol . The essay question is how is Scrooge presented in the quote “ solitary as an oyster “ . So if anyone can help please do
makeshiftmonkey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kichujay07)
Hi, I’m not sure on how to start my paragraph on a Christmas carol . The essay question is how is Scrooge presented in the quote “ solitary as an oyster “ . So if anyone can help please do
Scrooge could be presented as "solitary as an oyster" due to the fact that he is repeatedly seen to back away from too much contact with anyone else.

Dickens uses the simile ‘solitary as an oyster’ to enhance the reader’s view of Scrooge. An oyster lives alone at the bottom of the seabed and this echoes Scrooge’s solitary existence. He abhors human contact preferring to eat ‘his melancholy dinner’ alone in his ‘melancholy tavern’. It has a hard exterior but can sometimes contain a pearl – perhaps Dickens is hinting to the reader that inside the harsh and hard exterior there exists a jewel which is indeed the case in this novel. Dickens wanted his audience to question their behaviour and to realise that like Scrooge everyone was capable of change. He wanted the richer classes to take more responsibility for the lower classes – a lesson Scrooge painfully learns.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads