Requirements for English at Exeter uni?

Watch
a.gulietta
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi,
So I’ve been looking at the 2 different English courses Exeter offers and I’m just wondering if there’s any reason why the requirements for one campus are higher than the other? Online it says Streatham are AAA to A*AB whilst Penryn is AAB to ABB?

Also are the offers on the lower end contextual? Or are contextual offers even lower than these?
Advertisement
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by a.gulietta)
Hi,
So I’ve been looking at the 2 different English courses Exeter offers and I’m just wondering if there’s any reason why the requirements for one campus are higher than the other? Online it says Streatham are AAA to A*AB whilst Penryn is AAB to ABB?

Also are the offers on the lower end contextual? Or are contextual offers even lower than these?
Yes the lower offers are unconditional and the lower grades for Penryn are because of difficulties getting students to go there because of its remote location and not being in a major city or town.
LBA02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Same thing happens with politics and ir. Also, do you know if it's only because of the location or is the reputation also lower?
Advertisement
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by LBA02)
Same thing happens with politics and ir. Also, do you know if it's only because of the location or is the reputation also lower?
The degree you will get is exactly the same from Exeter University. People do see it as a reputational thing but when you leave everyone gets the same degree.It doesnt say Exeter or Penryn. Penryn is very isolated being on the South West of England. It is miles from there to almost any major centre of population so often people dont want to go there as it is so far from home. Also it is a small town of about 5000 people and the campus is quite small and shared with Falmouth university. It doesnt have all the subjects that there are in Exeter. One of the benefits of being in Penryn is that the classes are smaller. The disadvantage is the options are less due to limited numbers. I think there are about 2000 Exeter students in Penryn as against 10 times that amount in Exeter itself. The shopping and nightlife is obviously better as Exeter is several times the size of Penryn. Falmouth is about 4 miles from Penryn and has a much larger population. Falmouth has a really nice marina and several beautiful beaches. The Cornwall area is filled with beaches and Tourism is very much the main trade.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
As well as the factors listed above, there is the important point that the courses are very different. In particular, the Penryn courses that I have looked at suffer from having much less choice in the modules available. If you like what's on offer there that's irrelevant, of course.
Advertisement
Muddypaws1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by LBA02)
Penryn is a lovely campus, the buses run till 3am in the morning, the student union is really good and put on loads of social events accomodation is great as well. The university campus whether Falmouth or Exeter has a lovely feel to it. Everyone’s in it together and mixes well. Do not disregard it because it’s a long way from Exeter, it’s a lovely part of the world
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
As well as the factors listed above, there is the important point that the courses are very different. In particular, the Penryn courses that I have looked at suffer from having much less choice in the modules available. If you like what's on offer there that's irrelevant, of course.
You are right there will be more limited options but also the class sizes are smaller so it is more personised. It really boils down to personal choice. If you are someone who wants a city life Penryn isnt for you but if you like a quieter life in a very scenic location then Penryn will be excellent but distance getting back and forth from home needs to be a consideration
Advertisement
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You are right there will be more limited options but also the class sizes are smaller so it is more personised. It really boils down to personal choice. If you are someone who wants a city life Penryn isnt for you but if you like a quieter life in a very scenic location then Penryn will be excellent but distance getting back and forth from home needs to be a consideration
https://www.thesu.org.uk/ Plenty of Student Union Life going on in Cornwall :-)
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by a.gulietta)
Online it says Streatham are AAA to A*AB whilst Penryn is AAB to ABB?

I applied to Penryn for a different subject with the same requirements (AAB-ABB) and got a contextual offer of BBB

I visited Penryn on an open day and it is the most beautiful university campus I have seen, imo. It is wonderful and green, lots of flowers + they are always working on expanding the campus too. They have a cute little 'village' for accommodation, and if you choose to live out, you can live by the sea... there are a million reasons why I think people should go to Penryn, but it's up to you! It is 1000% worth checking out though
Advertisement
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three
Rep:
?
Report 15 hours ago
(Original post by Siobha)
I applied to Penryn for a different subject with the same requirements (AAB-ABB) and got a contextual offer of BBB

I visited Penryn on an open day and it is the most beautiful university campus I have seen, imo. It is wonderful and green, lots of flowers + they are always working on expanding the campus too. They have a cute little 'village' for accommodation, and if you choose to live out, you can live by the sea... there are a million reasons why I think people should go to Penryn, but it's up to you! It is 1000% worth checking out though
@Siobha I couldn't agree more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (41)
59.42%
No (28)
40.58%

Watched Threads