Questions542
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What would happen if I went on a diet of 1.4k calories a day? eating two 500 calorie meals and if I had protein shakes of 400 calories in total to make up for some of the low in-take? protein shakes don't make you feel any bit full at all so obviously I need to eat a bit of food also. My total daily calorie intake would be 1400.

Would this be safe? and please don't hit me with the whole you will put it all back on once you stop your diet because I run between 40-60 miles a week and will be doing other forms of fitness once gyms re-open etc, I just need to get to a certain weight and maintain it from there.

And yes I know that it's only classified as safe to lose between 1-2 pounds a week via the opinion of health scientists so don't bore me with that. I am meaning would I seriously be putting my health at risk? I plan to do this diet for a couple of months.
Last edited by Questions542; 1 week ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Questions542,

Sounds like you have already done plenty of research yourself, which is a good thing.
Not a dietitian here but if you are talking about not putting your health at risk, maybe you can start planning on what kinds of food you will be consuming during your low-calorie diet, aim for a balanced diet with minimum junk food. As long as you do not lose more weight than what your healthy body BMI should be, you should be alright. If you have pre-existing health conditions or you have a family history of certain illnesses, you should probably take note of that and alter your diet as appropriate.
Stay safe and take care!

Lynn
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 week ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Questions542)
What would happen if I went on a diet of 1.4k calories a day? eating two 500 calorie meals and if I had protein shakes of 400 calories in total to make up for some of the low in-take? protein shakes don't make you feel any bit full at all so obviously I need to eat a bit of food also. My total daily calorie intake would be 1400.

Would this be safe? and please don't hit me with the whole you will put it all back on once you stop your diet because I run between 40-60 miles a week and will be doing other forms of fitness once gyms re-open etc, I just need to get to a certain weight and maintain it from there.

And yes I know that it's only classified as safe to lose between 1-2 pounds a week via the opinion of health scientists so don't bore me with that. I am meaning would I seriously be putting my health at risk? I plan to do this diet for a couple of months.
What's the point of this? You've already decided what you want to hear and what you don't want to hear, by telling people not to tell you this, not to 'bore' you with that, etc etc.

These sorts of posts never actually want the scientific facts or advice. They just aim to find an echo chamber.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Don't just focus on calories. Make sure you eat a balanced diet covering the food groups, vitamins and minerals. It's possible to do this with 3 proper meals and not resorting to protein shakes.
glassalice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Questions542)

Sounds as if you will definitely loose weight.
At 1.4k a day, you maybe able to source all of nutrients needed. However you do need to be careful to monitor this.
Obvs it's no good been 2 stone lighter but all your teeth have fallen out due to scurvy or you can't stop fainting due to anemia.
For an inactive person, this would lead to the recommended weightloss of 1-2 ibs a week, however Obvs for you this will be far greater.
Why do you want to do this weightloss so quickly? Despite drinking the protein shakes personally I would be really worried about atrophy. (You must be really committed to actually drink that ****).
Oh yeah, try and set a specific goal for your weightloss. It's a lot better psychologically that way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (86)
52.44%
No, they should still go ahead (32)
19.51%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (46)
28.05%

Watched Threads