Is it better to get a bad grade on a extra A-level, or to not take it at all?

Watch
ml.1612
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Suppose the courses I want to apply for don't require Further Maths for the entry requirements.

Would I be better to take FM as a fourth A level and show a strong mathematical background, but run the risk of getting a bad grade?

If my application was otherwise all A*s, would a B in Further Maths add to, or detract from my application?

Would love to hear some opinions on this.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ml.1612)
Suppose the courses I want to apply for don't require Further Maths for the entry requirements.

Would I be better to take FM as a fourth A level and show a strong mathematical background, but run the risk of getting a bad grade?

If my application was otherwise all A*s, would a B in Further Maths add to, or detract from my application?

Either or. You dont need the B so I would just focus on 3.
Normally for subjects that require FM you need an A. I dont think a B does you any harm other than requiring extra effort, but am not sure it does you any massive favours either.
saltytablet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ml.1612)

Depends on the course you're looking at tbh, what is it you're looking to do?
From my understanding people only pick 4 subjects because of personal preference, not because of any academic advantage you might gain in the admissions process.
If anything why don't you drop one of your other 4 subjects and keep FM and the other?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.83%
No (446)
66.17%

Watched Threads