Melirose's Year 12 GYG

Watch
Melirose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Melirose's Year 12 GYG

It's took me until about halfway through year 12 but I've finally realised that studying is important if I want to get good A-level grades. It's so important that I'm starting this blog instead of actually studying....

Anyway, I want to improve my grades so that I'm predicted at least ABB (but really I'd settle for BBB ).

About me:

What A-levels am I taking?
Spoiler:
Show

English language, history and computer science.

What are my GCSE grades?
Spoiler:
Show

9 - English language, history, RE, French
7 - Maths, geography, English literature
6 - Biology, chemistry, physics

What are my target grades?
Spoiler:
Show

My college has given me target grades of AAA, which would be great but I'm not sure that's a realistic goal for me right now - as it is, there's no way I'd get an A in computer science. My personal target is ABB.

What are my results so far in year 12?
Spoiler:
Show

I haven't done any mocks yet so these grades are only from class tests. Some of them are good are some are really disappointing. They average out at BBC (the C is in computer science) so I'm not too far from my goal but I'm quite a long way from my target grades of AAA.
English language (C, B, B, B)
History (C, B, A, B)
Computer science (B, B, B, E) went downhill, what can I say?

What do I want to do after A-levels?
Spoiler:
Show

Honestly, I don't really know. I just know that I want to get good grades so that I have plenty of options.

I'm currently thinking of studying or doing an apprenticeship in law. I also really like the idea of doing something in journalism or writing but I just don't know if I'm good enough. I hope to publish a book one day, anyway (even if I have to publish it myself).

How often will I update my blog?
Spoiler:
Show

It depends but due to the current quarantine, probably fairly regularly (every few days / every week). I'm not very good at sticking to a schedule.

Thanks for reading my first post, hopefully this whole 'trying to improve my grades' thing works out.
Melirose
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Please tag me when you post I love to go through your process with you. Good luckkkkkkkk What History topics do you do?
Melirose
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Please tag me when you post I love to go through your process with you. Good luckkkkkkkk What History topics do you do?
Hi, okay, will do thank you. I've done Britain 1900-1951, I'm doing the American Revolution at the moment and then next year, I'll be doing Popular Culture and the Witchcraze of the 16th and 17th centuries. I'm doing the OCR spec so I'm not sure how those topics compare to what's on other exam boards.
Melirose
Rep:
?
Update - I've done no home study or homework today so I'm off to a pretty bad start spent most of the day researching how to do a law personal statement, even though I might not even apply for it (especially if I get bad grades which I will if I don't study).
Tags -
PetitePanda
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Melirose)
Hi, okay, will do thank you. I've done Britain 1900-1951, I'm doing the American Revolution at the moment and then next year, I'll be doing Popular Culture and the Witchcraze of the 16th and 17th centuries. I'm doing the OCR spec so I'm not sure how those topics compare to what's on other exam boards.
That's interesting because I only have two topics: Tudors and Germany, which goes on the next time period in a level - I do AQA. How are you finding it like?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Update - I've done no home study or homework today so I'm off to a pretty bad start spent most of the day researching how to do a law personal statement, even though I might not even apply for it (especially if I get bad grades which I will if I don't study).
Tags -
PetitePanda
It's still good you are researching it for later. You have a lot of time to study so if you research about PS now, you can be less stressed when you apply later on.
Melirose
Rep:
?
Hi PetitePanda, I do OCR history and it's quite good but in the Britain topic there was a lot of politics, which I find a bit boring. It gets too confusing remembering who got what vote share in a specific election, which party won and which Prime Minister. I liked the social history though like the studies of poverty.

I wish I did the Tudors! I love Tudor history but haven't had the chance to study it for a while. I also like German history (I'm doing coursework on Hitler's rise to power), which time period or topic are you studying?

Yeah I suppose doing careers/university research is always good but I have so many deadlines at the moment and did almost no homework yesterday. I don't even know whether I'm going to apply to university though, me wanting to improve my grades is more for my own sake and maybe for degree apprenticeships if I can actually find any near me.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi PetitePanda, I do OCR history and it's quite good but in the Britain topic there was a lot of politics, which I find a bit boring. It gets too confusing remembering who got what vote share in a specific election, which party won and which Prime Minister. I liked the social history though like the studies of poverty.

I wish I did the Tudors! I love Tudor history but haven't had the chance to study it for a while. I also like German history (I'm doing coursework on Hitler's rise to power), which time period or topic are you studying?

Yeah I suppose doing careers/university research is always good but I have so many deadlines at the moment and did almost no homework yesterday. I don't even know whether I'm going to apply to university though, me wanting to improve my grades is more for my own sake and maybe for degree apprenticeships if I can actually find any near me.
Oh god I hate politics and I would hate trying to remember the parties and prime ministers - that’s why I stayed at my old school. Ooo social history is my fav.

Omg really? Who’s your fav Tudor? For Tudors it 1485-1603 and Germany 1918-45, which is Weimar Germany and hitler’s rose to power.

Deadlines??? Ohhh. Where are you situated? Ik a few of some degree apprenticeship if you want some?
Melirose
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Oh god I hate politics and I would hate trying to remember the parties and prime ministers - that’s why I stayed at my old school. Ooo social history is my fav.

Omg really? Who’s your fav Tudor? For Tudors it 1485-1603 and Germany 1918-45, which is Weimar Germany and hitler’s rose to power.

Deadlines??? Ohhh. Where are you situated? Ik a few of some degree apprenticeship if you want some?
I moved to college for computer science because I wanted to be a software developer then realised I can't code. :confused:

Probably Henry VIII because I just think he was the most interesting (having 6 wives was a bit crazy, especially the leaving them if they didn't give him a son but it makes an interesting story). I think I did a similar kind of time period for Germany at GCSE and I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, coursework don't even know where to start with my work to be honest.

I don't really want to put where I'm from on here (my somewhat unusual subject combination already kind of means people I know from college might find this). But I'm not from London, which is where most opportunities seem to be unfortunately. Thanks for the offer anyway.
Melirose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 hours ago
Hi everyone, it’s been a hectic week but I’ve finally got time to do an update. Well, I should be doing computer science coursework really but I can start that later.
·Studying from home has been difficult. I’ve been procrastinating a lot! I have mostly been able to meet my deadlines though so I suppose I’m doing OK.
·I’ve been getting A and B grades on my history essays, which is great. I wish I got a few more As though as I’d ideally like an A prediction but whatever…
·I haven’t got graded yet for English language or computer science but I think English is going well and computer science isn’t too bad but I think there’s definitely room for improvement.
My question this update – How do you stop procrastinating and actually study?
Thanks for reading and hope you are keeping safe and well during quarantine.
Melirose
bakeshenanigans
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
Hi everyone, it’s been a hectic week but I’ve finally got time to do an update. Well, I should be doing computer science coursework really but I can start that later.
· Studying from home has been difficult. I’ve been procrastinating a lot! I have mostly been able to meet my deadlines though so I suppose I’m doing OK.
· I’ve been getting A and B grades on my history essays, which is great. I wish I got a few more As though as I’d ideally like an A prediction but whatever…
· I haven’t got graded yet for English language or computer science but I think English is going well and computer science isn’t too bad but I think there’s definitely room for improvement.
My question this update – How do you stop procrastinating and actually study?
Thanks for reading and hope you are keeping safe and well during quarantine.
Melirose
Hey!I am also doing computer science 9608 rn,it would be a big help if you tell me how you study for it. And also if there was any important resource except the book,could you mention it? Thank you
Melirose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 minutes ago
(Original post by bakeshenanigans)
Hey!I am also doing computer science 9608 rn,it would be a big help if you tell me how you study for it. And also if there was any important resource except the book,could you mention it? Thank you
Hi, I do WJEC Eduqas but most of what we study is probably the same. I don't really do that much studying for it to be honest (which is the main reason I started this GYG ). I would recommend just looking on YouTube at Craig and Dave or any other videos on specific topics or looking at past paper questions. I know there's not many past papers out there but my teacher said that the old spec papers are still good for practising, even if some of the content isn't the same. You're welcome but sorry that my advice is quite generic, I haven't really figured out any good revision methods yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads