Should people ever do this

Watch
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Should you ever slap someone in a panic attack to bring them to their senses like in the movies? I've seen it happen and we someone who suffers with panic attacks thinks it would make it worse.
Himynameisdaisy
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I mean, I personally wouldn’t want to be slapped when having a panic attack (or not for that matter) It might work, I don’t know, but I wouldn’t risk it tbh. If anything I’d slap them back 😂
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
Should you ever slap someone in a panic attack to bring them to their senses like in the movies? I've seen it happen and we someone who suffers with panic attacks thinks it would make it worse.
This would probably would have been inappropriate in the 1950s...
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Not at all.
If someone slapped me in the middle of a panic attack I'm 100% sure that would make it worse.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
No you should not slap someone while they are having a panic attack. My mother has them and hers are triggered by going to certain areas. When she knows she might possibly have one, I take control of the situation and remove her from the area and stay with her. She's had them for years so she does try to fight against them but I think it helps having someone with her who can stay calm for her.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Awesome, I'm freaking out because I feel the world is attacking me and you're going to attack me? you'd likely end up badly hurt with no sympathy.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
This would probably would have been inappropriate in the 1950s...
Really?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Really?
Yes, really.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No.
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If you want someone to stop panic crying, it is better to soothe them (e.g. by giving them a hug) than to slap them. If you slapped them, the person would feel they were under attack therefore would probably increase the intensity of their cries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (91)
61.07%
No (58)
38.93%

Watched Threads